What is the best substitute for salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elvenrunelord

Assistant Cook
what do you think is the best substitute for salt? I personally think lemon juice is ok in some dishes as well as vinegar in others

I have salt problems as well as you do Now if!!!!!! you can find it it is called Sour Salt
it is pure vitamin C it will cause you to salivate just like salt but with the added benefit of taking your vitamins with your meal.. Not knowing were you live I go to the store that caters to the Jewish trade. And they most likely have it on their shelves. It is also called ascorbic acid. Remember a very little goes a very long way Good luck hunting

what do you think is the best substitute for salt? I personally think lemon juice is ok in some dishes as well as vinegar in others

Hi Elvenrunelord,
There is no subsitute for salt. Salt is a naturally occurring chemical added to food to promote and develop flavour. As such, one cannot substitute - one can only add alternative flavours. In addition to this the body needs salt, although not in the proportions derived from eating processed foods or ready meals!

What are you trying to cook?

Regards,
Archiduc

archiduc, keep in mind, some people can't add salt to their foods. I have severe reactions to salt, so I've had to sub as well. My personal thinking is that if you use fresh herbs, tangy citrus or spicy peppers, you're usually good to go :)

A lot depends on why you are reducing the salt content.

If you are just looking to reduce your sodium chloride intake - simply use less salt! And, shy away from prepared foods where possible. Also look at the sodium content on the labels - some foods are brined or preserved with salt (sausages, wieners, some lunch meats, etc.) and consume them in smaller quantities or less frequently. All food grown in the soil, or consumes food grown in the soil, will contain some sodium chloride.

Unless there is a contraindication because of certain medications - dry wines will also trick the taste buds and provide a salty taste without added salt.

Of course - acids, like vinegars and citric acid, and herbs can be used as replacements.

Regarding commercial salt substitutes - most of these are Potassium Chloride. Potassium Chloride (KCl) isn't without it's problems - while it is used as a food preservative (as well as a part of the lethal injection in executions) and a substitute for common table salt (NaCl) in some instances - it isn't always a healthy substitute for sodium chloride (NaCl) - or common table salt, Kosher salt, sea salt, etc.

IMHO - nobody should just cut NaCl from their diet, or do a wholesale sub of KCl for NaCl, without talking to their physician first. Doing so can be lethal in some instances! Low sodium levels can screw up cell functions, cardiac functions, and brain functions.

We've had similar discussions in our Health, Nutrition and Special Diets Forum in the past.

Last edited:
archiduc, keep in mind, some people can't add salt to their foods. I have severe reactions to salt, so I've had to sub as well. My personal thinking is that if you use fresh herbs, tangy citrus or spicy peppers, you're usually good to go :)

Hi JKath,
Although it may appear that we are singing from different hymn sheets, in reality we are not.
Salt is a naturally occuring chemical, present in food and added to food to promote flavour and/or aid preservation. If you have severe reactions to salt then I presume that you may not eat any preserved/cured meats like ham, proscuitto, corned beef, salamis or anchovies, olives, cured fish like smoked salmon/haddock, pickles and chutneys etc. If so, I cry for you. I cannot imagine not being able to eat Spaghetti Carbonnara.

Salt (sodium chloride) is required to maintain the water (H2O) balance, in the body, for nerve and muscle functioning. If you don`t believe me just think about how any Marathon arranges for water/liquid to be available for the runners! You are correct in thinking that this might be achieved through eating a wide a varied diet without the overt addition of salt. A diet reliant on an excess of fast food, processed foods from the supermarket may/will result in an excess of salt in one`s diet and this is not a good thing. Equally, you stress that flavours may be derived though the use and addition of herbs, citrus fruits and other ingredients. This is a point which is VERY well made.

Your response indicates that you are recieving the benefit of advice and I trust that you have checked the competence of your advisors. Quacks are Us seem to abound today!!!!!!

I do not have any problems when it comes to eating salt and would hate to learn that I could not add salt to pasta when it is being cooked or to a pot of potatoes.

All the best,
Archiduc

a co-worker and i just did a salt substitute test this past weekend. we tested 3 brands, all of which were made of potassium chloride.

we liked "adolph's salt substitute" the best, by far.

"morton's" and "nu-salt" were both odd tasting and imo, didn't taste like salt at all.

we also both agreed that salt free and low salt spice mixes, such as "jane's crazy mixed up salt", and "mrs. dash" (the salt free version) were very good ways of adding flavor without adding so much sodium.

The pure Vitamin C would have to be Sodium Ascpobate, which is the non-acidic type. I bought this for health reasons at a pharmacy, and I know it is used in the culinary industry as well for keeping food fresh when you don't want to use lemon juice (perhaps because of the flavor does not match what you want to use in the dish). When asked what it tastes like, my most common answer is "like salt, but without the salty taste". By this I mean that it simply is not as "salty" tasting. But do be aware: it has sodium as well, so I don't know whether it really reduces the health risks associated with salt.

One thing that I also use for health reasons is Alum powder, which is often used in pickling spice mixes. It tastes salty, sour and even a little sweet, and could probably be used in a mix similar to Mrs Dash. Again, I believe it has some sodium, or else might have sodium, but as I understand it Alum is actually a classification of chemicals rather than a specific one. Anyway, it provides relief for my canker sores :-p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom