What shortening do you use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aunt Bea

Master Chef
When a cookie or pastry recipe calls for shortening what do you use?

I have always used Crisco but I am looking for a healthier and cheaper alternative. I have tried butter but it does not give the same results in some types of baked goods.

Thanks for your help!

Butter isn't really a shortening substitute. It behaves differently. I use Crisco because it's what's available. I assume you are looking for non-shortening alternatives. Depending on the recipe, you may be able to find a sub but the results may be different.

Doesn't Crisco make a low or no sat fat version of Crisco?

Crisco touts "trans fat free", but still contains partially hydrogenated oil! I will not buy it! The old formula which was even heavier on the trans fats, made wonderfully fluffy decorator's buttercream, the new formula leaves a waxy greasy film in your mouth when used for buttercream YUCK! I often use all butter for buttercream, but if I'm going to decorate with it, I use at least 1/2 shortening.

I have been using Spectrum Organics non hydrogenated shortening for those few recipes where shortening is needed for best results. So far it has worked perfectly in every recipe that I have used it in. It is expensive but for me it is worth it, since I don't use a lot of it.

It is high in saturated fat, but absolutely no trans fat. I would rather consume the sat fat than the trans fat, it's not like I use this stuff every day!
51HAY3WT6BL._SS500_.jpg

Amazon.com: Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening, All Vegetable, 24-Ounce Containers (Pack of 4): Health & Personal Care

It comes in plain and I've also seen butter flavored. I usually get mine at Whole Foods, but have seen it other places too.

It isn't a cheaper alternative though

Last edited:
I'm a lard convert when it comes to baking. It gets an undeserved bad rap for being unhealthy but the fat profile is not that bad at all... it has 30% less saturated fat than butter, and fair amount of monounsaturated fat.

Lard or butter. I never paid any attention to the folks who spend their time trying to scare you with their "scientific" studies.

Lard or all natural shortening from the health food store. If I had goose or duck fat, I would use that. I have been told that there are some German cakes that just are not going to come out as good if you use anything other than goose fat.

I used to use Crisco. For just about everything. Melt it for frying and combine in baking, making pie crusts, biscuits, you name it. The last can I bought, more than several years ago actually got rancid before using it up. I am no longer in favor of Crisco ( I think Spry if it's still made is similar) ever since they changed the formula to make it No Trans Fat. I also think Potato Chips taste funny since they all became No Trans Fat too. Don't know what Trans Fat is made from, but I tend more than I used to -to avoid Things That Get Changed Around from what they were and are Artificial Flavor and Who Knows what Crisco is to begin with. New and Improved Formula Products I avoid. Except Coca Cola, and even that is drank Sparingly.

Depending what I am making, now I use: Liquids>> Peanut Oil, Olive oil, Grapeseed oil; Solids>>Cocoanut Oil, Lard and Butter. I'd use more bacon grease for frying, but I don't buy or use enough bacon to keep up my personal demands. The Lard I get is from a farmer and you have to render it yourself, strain and freeze for storage.

I'm a lard convert when it comes to baking. It gets an undeserved bad rap for being unhealthy but the fat profile is not that bad at all... it has 30% less saturated fat than butter, and fair amount of monounsaturated fat.

Have to be careful with lard, some of it is hydrogenated.

My mom always made her pie crusts and fried her donuts in lard, so so good. I need to buy some one of these days and experiment with it.

Thanks for all of the feedback on this!

Why is it that everything I was brought up eating is now conspiring to kill me!

I will check out the Spectrum, it sounds easier than sweating the cellulite off of a goose or a pig! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I prefer home rendered lard. Unfortunately Armour Star is about all that's readily available. Even though Armour Star is considered 'shelf stable' I've had occassion for it to become rancid in the refrigerator. For pie crust shortening, we've had best luck using a mix of 1/4 to 1/3 butter and lard for the balance.

Back
Top Bottom