"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 12-12-2011, 03:06 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I'd just do something else for my "no alcohol" friends (and yes, I do have them). My mom and some of my older friends regale me with tales of their alcoholic neighbors who would sneak in to peoples' kitchens to drink their vanilla extract. So, for them, no alcohol. Maybe some of the coffee syrups you can buy that have different flavors.

I agree.

To me it's like giving candy cigarettes to children.

I would pick another item for those folks.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Re: "The right balance of vanilla and coffee comes close. (Not really, but it might be okay)."

I'm going to try this approach. Has anyone done this and happen to have worked out the proportions of coffee to vanilla? If not, I'll do some testing.

Thanks everyone for all the useful suggestions.

Bill

Old 12-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Master Chef

You don't want to give them something that tastes nasty...I suggest you choose another gift for your friends who cannot have alcohol. I would love some gourmet hot chocolate mix.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Here's a site that sells "Essences" of whiskey:

Whisky Essences
Old 12-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Head Chef

Well, it's my thought to maybe focus this a little better. Alcohol, per se, simply cannot be avoided with going to extremes in diet. It's present in ice cream, any foods in which extracts are used, fruit itself, etc. There are two obvious classes of folks who can't "use" alcohol. One is alcoholics for whom the practical rule is no intoxicating alcohol. The other is Muslims, most of whom's authorities agree that the minor amounts found in extracts are never found to be from from grapes or dates (the specific prohibitions) nor capable of intoxicating (the prohibited use of all alcohols). But it can get complicated, because of different schools and individual authorities.

The point is that, rather than working to concoct a mock alcoholic drink and having to explain that it's not alcoholic, which could be, I think, the social gaff of remarking on someone's limits, I'd consider the syrups idea. They work for so many things, ice cream, ices, coffee, etc. Davinci makes a bunch of them, including an Irish Creme. DaVinci Gourmet The list of flavors is very long. (It would not do for me to be turned loose in a store that stocked the full array of them. Toasted marshmallow!!?) Or make your own siropi, which isn't hard for fruit syrups, but is probably too involved for other flavors (like Irish creme and toasted marshmallow).
Old 12-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Re: "You don't want to give them something that tastes nasty."

I agree, so I'll test it first. Please keep in mind that there are a lot of other ingredients that add to the taste, such as coffee, chocolate syrup, whipping cream, and vanilla and almond extracts. I just need a filler that comes close to the whiskey taste.

If I can't get a pleasant flavor, I'll drop the project.

Still looking for a recipe for the vanilla + coffee substitute; otherwise, I'll experiment.

(So, assume that I have considered all the reasons mentioned in this thread not to provide the alcohol-free liqueur and have decided to give it a try anyhow. Not that those reasons might not be correct for some situations, but for reasons I prefer not to go into, the gift is appropriate in our circumstances.)

Bill
Old 12-12-2011, 11:21 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared18 View Post
..."Offending" a non-drinker isn't the issue. The folks I'm concerned about cannot under any circumstances have any alcohol; 'nough said?...

'nough said. That means you cannot use vanilla and almond extracts as they both contain alcohol.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

Re: "That means you cannot use vanilla and almond extracts as they both contain alcohol."

Thanks, Andy. You saved me a lot of work. Didn't realize they contained alcohol.

Bill
Old 12-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
... have decided to give it a try anyhow
And don't get totally focused on emulating Bailey's. You might come up with a unique drink. But in trying to impart that whiskey taste, I have a notion that maple might be a useful ingredient that's not in the usual whiskeyed Irish creme recipes. Actually, I think I'm feeling for something like burnt maple flavor, like maple syrup cooked down too quickly. Have to cut back on the other sweet to keep it from getting too sweet.

I see there have been playful contests to try to emulate whiskey by mixing flavors into grain alcohol. Prune juice gets mentioned a lot, as does liquid smoke. One guy charred four toothpicks to add a char taste. Whole black peppercorns were cooked into one batch. Seems like I remember whiskeys are aged in oak barrels that have been charred on the inside. One guy swore by charred marshmallows. (And we remember the iodine used drop by drop to fake the bottle of Scotch for the big date in M.A.S.H.)

Found some old prohibition recipes to fake whiskey. Some featured "beading oil." Beading oil apparently was a mix of sulphuric acid, oil of sweet almonds, and ammonia!!! They were making barroom rotgut, not something for friends. Beading oil is literal rotgut and eats teeth, too. And it was far from the worst ingredient.

Oh, and not all vanilla extracts have alcohol. There are a number of totally alcohol free vanillas. Check health food stores or online, Amazon. Health food stores might have some other interesting extracts and oils useful for the effort, too.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Re: "That means you cannot use vanilla and almond extracts as they both contain alcohol."

Thanks, Andy. You saved me a lot of work. Didn't realize they contained alcohol.

Bill

Bill

A number of us have replied to you about many extracts containing alcohol earlier in the thread. I did twice. Alcohol is a commonly used medium for extracting flavor.

Recreating the taste of an alcoholic beverage using no alcohol is probably a task best left up to the chemists and their labs.

Tags
recipe, substitute