"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 12-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

If you want to use vanilla without the presence of alcohol, buy a vanilla bean and steep it in one of the liquids simmering in a pot to extract flavors.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Re: "Recreating the taste of an alcoholic beverage using no alcohol is probably a task best left up to the chemists and their labs."

Yes, and Wilbur and Orville had no business trying to develop what professionals were attempting to invent! We can't count the number of things that have been successfully developed by "amateurs."

But seriously, what's the harm in trying? Worst case, you have to throw it out. Also, for this particular application there are a lot of strong flavors in the recipe that may mitigate the non-alcohol-beverage issue.

Nothing motivates me more than to have someone tell me to leave it to the professionals.

GLC, thanks for the tip on looking for alcohol-free vanilla flavoring.

On another note, I just want to mention how impressed I am with this forum. This is my first posting, and I've found everyone to be informed, respectful, and helpful.

Bill

Old 12-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #23
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSquared18 View Post
On another note, I just want to mention how impressed I am with this forum. This is my first posting, and I've found everyone to be informed, respectful, and helpful.

Bill
Thank You! Just wait until we get the giggles...
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
Head Chef

Quote:
Yes, and Wilbur and Orville had no business trying to develop what professionals were attempting to invent! Bill

Oct. 9, 1903, New York Times:

“The flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continuous efforts of mathematicians and mechanicians in from one million to ten million years.”

Dec. 17, 1903, Diary of Orville Wright, a mechanic, Kill Devil Hill, N.C.:

"After running the engine and propellers a few minutes to get them in working order, I got on the machine at 10:35 for the first trial."
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Re: "Recreating the taste of an alcoholic beverage using no alcohol is probably a task best left up to the chemists and their labs."

Yes, and Wilbur and Orville had no business trying to develop what professionals were attempting to invent! We can't count the number of things that have been successfully developed by "amateurs."

But seriously, what's the harm in trying? Worst case, you have to throw it out. Also, for this particular application there are a lot of strong flavors in the recipe that may mitigate the non-alcohol-beverage issue.

Nothing motivates me more than to have someone tell me to leave it to the professionals.

GLC, thanks for the tip on looking for alcohol-free vanilla flavoring.

Bill

Good luck, then!

Just remember that most of the alcohol in Bailey's comes from their "fine spirits" and not from Irish whiskey. So prepare for a fun day of tasting to get it right.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Re: "Just remember that most of the alcohol in Bailey's comes from their "fine spirits" and not from Irish whiskey."

On the other hand, the alcoholic version of the liqueur that I make tastes really good, even though I use inexpensive Canadian whiskey instead of Irish whiskey or "fine spirits." I think it compares very favorably with the commercial Irish Creams that I've tried. My wife, a McBride and Irish to the core, likes it a lot. That's proof enough for me.

The liqueur, along with very nice labels and etched glasses titled "McBride's Irish Cream," make a great gift.

Today I bought some non-alcoholic vanilla and tomorrow am going to try to find a combination of coffee and vanilla that might work as a whiskey substitute.

Bill
Old 12-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Good Luck, awaiting reports on results! It's so much fun to play with your food and beverages.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Re: "Just remember that most of the alcohol in Bailey's comes from their "fine spirits" and not from Irish whiskey."

On the other hand, the alcoholic version of the liqueur that I make tastes really good, even though I use inexpensive Canadian whiskey instead of Irish whiskey or "fine spirits." I think it compares very favorably with the commercial Irish Creams that I've tried. My wife, a McBride and Irish to the core, likes it a lot. That's proof enough for me.

The liqueur, along with very nice labels and etched glasses titled "McBride's Irish Cream," make a great gift.

Today I bought some non-alcoholic vanilla and tomorrow am going to try to find a combination of coffee and vanilla that might work as a whiskey substitute.

Bill
My point was that the alcohol content in Bailey's comes from the weird whey-based and probably unflavored alcohol they use and not whiskey. Irish whiskey is more or less a flavor element.

Just something to remember when you consider flavor, is all.

If you dont mind the taste of cheap whiskey instead of Irish whiskey (a world apart) you might consider using one of those "whiskey essences" as your flavoring agent.

Tags
recipe, substitute