Whiskey Substitute in Bailey's-Type Irish Creme Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want to use vanilla without the presence of alcohol, buy a vanilla bean and steep it in one of the liquids simmering in a pot to extract flavors.

Re: "Recreating the taste of an alcoholic beverage using no alcohol is probably a task best left up to the chemists and their labs."

Yes, and Wilbur and Orville had no business trying to develop what professionals were attempting to invent! :) We can't count the number of things that have been successfully developed by "amateurs."

But seriously, what's the harm in trying? Worst case, you have to throw it out. Also, for this particular application there are a lot of strong flavors in the recipe that may mitigate the non-alcohol-beverage issue.

Nothing motivates me more than to have someone tell me to leave it to the professionals.

GLC, thanks for the tip on looking for alcohol-free vanilla flavoring.

On another note, I just want to mention how impressed I am with this forum. This is my first posting, and I've found everyone to be informed, respectful, and helpful.

Bill

Yes, and Wilbur and Orville had no business trying to develop what professionals were attempting to invent! Bill

Oct. 9, 1903, New York Times:

“The flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continuous efforts of mathematicians and mechanicians in from one million to ten million years.”

Dec. 17, 1903, Diary of Orville Wright, a mechanic, Kill Devil Hill, N.C.:

"After running the engine and propellers a few minutes to get them in working order, I got on the machine at 10:35 for the first trial."

Re: "Recreating the taste of an alcoholic beverage using no alcohol is probably a task best left up to the chemists and their labs."

Yes, and Wilbur and Orville had no business trying to develop what professionals were attempting to invent! :) We can't count the number of things that have been successfully developed by "amateurs."

But seriously, what's the harm in trying? Worst case, you have to throw it out. Also, for this particular application there are a lot of strong flavors in the recipe that may mitigate the non-alcohol-beverage issue.

Nothing motivates me more than to have someone tell me to leave it to the professionals.

GLC, thanks for the tip on looking for alcohol-free vanilla flavoring.

On another note, I just want to mention how impressed I am with this forum. This is my first posting, and I've found everyone to be informed, respectful, and helpful.

Bill

Good luck, then!:chef:

Just remember that most of the alcohol in Bailey's comes from their "fine spirits" and not from Irish whiskey. So prepare for a fun day of tasting to get it right.

Re: "Just remember that most of the alcohol in Bailey's comes from their "fine spirits" and not from Irish whiskey."

On the other hand, the alcoholic version of the liqueur that I make tastes really good, even though I use inexpensive Canadian whiskey instead of Irish whiskey or "fine spirits." I think it compares very favorably with the commercial Irish Creams that I've tried. My wife, a McBride and Irish to the core, likes it a lot. That's proof enough for me.

The liqueur, along with very nice labels and etched glasses titled "McBride's Irish Cream," make a great gift.

Today I bought some non-alcoholic vanilla and tomorrow am going to try to find a combination of coffee and vanilla that might work as a whiskey substitute.

Bill

Good Luck, awaiting reports on results! It's so much fun to play with your food and beverages.

Re: "Just remember that most of the alcohol in Bailey's comes from their "fine spirits" and not from Irish whiskey."

On the other hand, the alcoholic version of the liqueur that I make tastes really good, even though I use inexpensive Canadian whiskey instead of Irish whiskey or "fine spirits." I think it compares very favorably with the commercial Irish Creams that I've tried. My wife, a McBride and Irish to the core, likes it a lot. That's proof enough for me.

The liqueur, along with very nice labels and etched glasses titled "McBride's Irish Cream," make a great gift.

Today I bought some non-alcoholic vanilla and tomorrow am going to try to find a combination of coffee and vanilla that might work as a whiskey substitute.

Bill

My point was that the alcohol content in Bailey's comes from the weird whey-based and probably unflavored alcohol they use and not whiskey. Irish whiskey is more or less a flavor element.

Just something to remember when you consider flavor, is all.

If you dont mind the taste of cheap whiskey instead of Irish whiskey (a world apart) you might consider using one of those "whiskey essences" as your flavoring agent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom