"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Substitutions

Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

White Sauce Mix Substitute?

I found what I'm hoping is a great recipe for Creamy Tortellini Soup in the crock pot. The liquid ingredients are 4 cups of water, a can of vegetable broth, a 1.8 ounce envelope of white sauce mix, and a can of evaporated milk near the end.

Unfortunately, after searching every local grocery store, both large and small, I've come to the conclusion that white sauce mix just doesn't exist here in Minnesota.

So, yeah, anyone have any ideas for what I could use instead? I found some recipes online for home-made white sauce mix, including powdered milk and butter, but I'm not sure they'll match up well with the other liquids like a straight powder would.

So.... alfredo sauce mix? Chicken gravy mix? Southern gravy mix? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

White sauce is made with ft, flour and milk. It's much too easy to bother buying a mix. If you had to choose, go with the chicken gravy mix.

I'd just look for a different recipe.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
Head Chef

Welcome To DC.

Josie
Old 04-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Master Chef

Just make some white sauce and cut back on the water.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

White sauce mix is usually marked "Country Gravy". I use it when I don't have milk. (I drink it all.)

Walmart carries one called "Country Style Gravy" Great Value brand. It makes 2 cups sauce. I also get Marcum brand at another store called "Country Gravy" but it only makes 1 cup.

Since your recipe calls for the mix, and if you still can't find the "Country" style either, you could probably use Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix as a substitute.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Did you try any of the gravy mixes? Did they work? I'm looking for the same thing!
Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've used all the gravy mixes and they're pretty good. I keep some on hand when I don't have pan drippings. They also sell gravy in jars and cans, but I really think the mixes taste a little better.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I sometimes use Williams Country Gravy (for something else, NOT the recipe in the OP) and it tastes more spicy than ordinary white sauce (Béchamel sauce) made from scratch, which is just butter, flour and milk. I'm concerned that some country gravy mixes might add additional spices not in the OP's original recipe.

One thing I discovered when looking up white sauce mixes, from the Knorr directions: "Whisk sauce mix and 2-1/4 cups milk in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat and simmer. Stirring constantly, until thickened, about 1 minute." It seems to me that the mix is replacing the roux (butter and flour) normally used to make white sauce, since at least the Knorr white sauce mix requires you to add milk when you make it.

Knorr white sauce ingredient list: Wheat Flour, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Maltodextrin (Contains Corn), Lactose (from Milk), Salt, Modified Potato Starch, Hydrolyzed Corn Protein, Whey Protein Concentrate (from Milk), Sugar, Cream, Whey, Onion Powder, Butter Oil, Sodium Caseinate (from Milk), Corn Syrup Solids, Spices, Annatto and Turmeric Color (for Color), Guar Gum, Soybean Lecithin, Natural Flavor.

I'm wondering if the white sauce mix is just acting as a thickener and binder in the recipe from the OP, and the evaporated milk added at the end completes the reconstruction of a white sauce.

Could the substitution be as simple as making a roux, then slowly adding in the broth while simmering (technically we are making a Velouté sauce here but the idea is to get the thickening provided by the roux into the crock pot at the beginning of cooking), then add that to the crock pot and proceed with the OP recipe directions, and complete it with adding the evaporated milk near the end as directed?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:18 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Welcome to DC! If you coat the chicken in flour and saute it first, it should work. You can always add more flour (or Masa) about 30 minutes before it is done if you want it thicker. I've eaten a lot of chicken tortilla soup, but never one with a cream base. Can you share a link to the recipe or the source?
Old 03-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #10
Senior Cook

OP is making tortellini soup, not tortilla. I would not use any milk based sauce in the slow cooker. Tends to break and really doesn't taste good. Consider making a "slurry" and adding it about 1/2 before your done.

Tags
substitute