Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quaker

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe that calls for sauterne . What would be the best wine to substitute for it. Also having a dickens of a time finding burgundy for a beef dish and someone told me that cabernet sauvignon would work . Any opinions on this ?

I have a recipe that calls for sauterne . What would be the best wine to substitute for it. Also having a dickens of a time finding burgundy for a beef dish and someone told me that cabernet sauvignon would work . Any opinions on this ?

I would sub Pinot Noir for the Burgundy. French Burgundy are made with the Pinot Noir grape.

Can't say for the Sauterne. It's a sweeter wine.

IMO, Sauterne is a fairly sweet white. Any sweet white, or even sherry should work.

A cabernet would work in most dishes calling for Burgundy. I would think that Burgundy would be available anywhere that Cabs are sold in the US.

It would help if the recipe was known.

Sauterne is a sweet wine, any sweet wine you would normally drink would work, like gerwertztraminer, a sweet rose, pink chablis, etc. Apple juice might work too. Also, for burgundy, any drier red would also suffice. Just make sure that you would drink the wine you cook with. The so called "cooking wines" are nasty!

Last edited:

What is the Sauterne going to be used for? Is it a dessert recipe or a savory recipe?

Back
Top Bottom