Xanthan Gum as a thickening agent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arrowroot as a thickener is supposed to be diabetic friendly, though I've never used it, and not diabetic yet, thankfully.

I think arrowroot was partially what she was trying to avoid as a thickening agent.

Using that gum stuff...I dunno. lol. I think I've seen it on some soylent green burrito ingredient list. Sounds like something you'd add to 300 lbs of other stuff and make it into lot and lots of food for sale.

Not something I'd likely have around and add a dash of. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I think arrowroot was partially what she was trying to avoid as a thickening agent.

Using that gum stuff...I dunno. lol. I think I've seen it on some soylent green burrito ingredient list. Sounds like something you'd add to 300 lbs of other stuff and make it into lot and lots of food for sale.

Not something I'd likely have around and add a dash of. :ROFLMAO:

Right. I have no clue what you're talking about, nor does it answer my question. But thanks.

Hey Steve, if I can find almond flour in bulk, you want me to experiment?
Almond flour is one of the replacement flours I've been looking at. It does work as a thickener from what I've read. The only concern I have with using it (and maybe it isn't a valid one) is that almonds contain a lot of omega-6, which tends to be inflammatory. It's also one of the reasons I don't use seed based oils anymore. I think it would be okay to use in small amounts, just like eating a handful of almonds. But I see people on the web posting recipes for almond flour cakes and breads, and that just seems like an awful lot of omega-6 to me.

Coconut flour is another option I've been looking at. It contains more saturated fat, which, believe it or not, I have less concerns about.

Arrowroot as a thickener is supposed to be diabetic friendly, though I've never used it, and not diabetic yet, thankfully.
I hadn't thought at all about arrowroot, but you are absolutely right. I've always lumped it into the same category as cornstarch, but it turns out arrowroot contains only about 1/10th of the carbs of cornstarch. Who knew?

I'm also going to order some Konjac flour today. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:
Yes, I am not looking for a replacement for flour, I don't eat enough baked goods to make it necessary.

I can remove burgers from buns and the innards from tacos, etc. Just now finishing a Baconator Burger with lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, mayo and mustard. The guy thought I was nuts, the burger doesn't come with the veggies...

I'm enjoying this, had a ham and cheese omelet with guacamole for breakfast. Yum!

Be cautious. Too much makes your dish gluey - gummy - mucusey. It's better for gentle thickening - not necessarily for thick gravy or soup.

Don't ask how I know this........;(

Steve--have you considered chia seeds, flaxseed goop, or wild rice flour? I can't remember what your restrictions are. Also, if you include veggies (carrots, celery, leeks, beets, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.) and then toss those in the FB, they will work as a thickening agent? No flour, just make the veggies thicken the soup/gravy?

Last edited:

I've used arrowroot for thickening. I didn't notice that it did any better than cornstarch. Also, arrowroot is much more expensive than cornstarch. $6 for only an 1.87 oz. jar.

Thanks S&P. Unfortunately, flour and cornstarch are no longer an option for me, so that's why I am looking for other alternatives.

What about guar gum? Have you ever used that?
Steve, why would wild rice flour not work? It is a grass, not a rice...a little of that goes a long way when used to thicken soups. It can't be used to make bread on its own, no gluten, but it does work as a thickener. What about pureeing vegetables (carrots, celery, leeks, etc.) with stock?

I've used arrowroot for thickening. I didn't notice that it did any better than cornstarch. Also, arrowroot is much more expensive than cornstarch. $6 for only an 1.87 oz. jar.

When a person is Diabetic, we must find alternatives to foods if we do not want to treat our Diabetes with drugs, that involves taking a food approach to reducing our blood sugars. This conversation is not about the optimal ingredient, it IS about what works while still keeping a serious health condition under control.

Last edited:
Steve, why would wild rice flour not work? It is a grass, not a rice...a little of that goes a long way when used to thicken soups. It can't be used to make bread on its own, no gluten, but it does work as a thickener. What about pureeing vegetables (carrots, celery, leeks, etc.) with stock?
Hi CWS. Good suggestions, but the here's the bottom line for me, and the reason I'm looking for alternatives. Technically speaking, wild rice - or at least the part that you consume - is a seed. Most foods of this type, whether you call them legumes, grains, nuts, or seeds, contain a lot of food energy (carbohydrates) condensed into a small package. By nature, they are nutrient rich foods, but they also kick up my blood sugar.

With this current diabetic diet, I'm allowed a total of 20-30 grams of net carbohydrates (all carbs minus the fiber) per day. That's not very much. For example, a cup of cooked Brussels sprouts has 5 grams of net carbs. My two cups of morning coffee with artificial sweetener has 2 grams (sorry, gotta have it).

So every little bit adds up and I have to cut corners where I can. I can't eat things like potatoes or most root veggies because they are starchy. With the exception of things like wild berries in small amounts, fruit is completely out.

So this is why I'm seeking out alternatives. I don't like watery gravy and soups. The konjac flour that Dawg suggested above is great stuff. It will thicken hot liquids and emulsify fat just like cornstarch but, unlike cornstarch, it actually lowers blood glucose (or at least that's the claim). So I'm going to give it a try. Xanthan has carbs, but since it requires such a tiny amount to thicken liquids, it's not as bad. We'll see if it works.

I'm sure all of this sounds very extreme and that I'm limiting myself. But believe me, I'm enjoying some very tasty food right now. And for the first time in many years, I'm putting lots of butter on food and enjoying fattier cuts of meat without feeling like I'm being bad. :)

In time, I may be able to add back some of the other veggies I enjoy, but until I get this affliction under control, I have to make choices.

Last edited:
Be cautious. Too much makes your dish gluey - gummy - mucusey. It's better for gentle thickening - not necessarily for thick gravy or soup.

Don't ask how I know this........;(
I won't ask. ;)

I see what you mean about mucous-y. My first attempt, I mixed a half teaspoon into a cup of water, and it had all the properties of a cup of snot - or maybe Nickelodeon "slime." :ROFLMAO:

Second attempt, I cut it down to a quarter teaspoon and it was more the consistency I was looking for.

Interestingly, it works in cold or hot liquids.

Last edited:
Steve, it was Aunt Bea who suggested konjac flour, I suggested arrowroot. I had never heard of konjac, sounds interesting.

Good to know an easy recipe for snot! When I made snot with kids, the recipe was much more involved, using gelatin and corn syrup.

Steve, I used xanthan gum, a tiny amount, 1/4-1/3 teaspoon in 8 ounces of my homemade liquid hot sauce. It takes a 'while' before it starts to thicken. I just added it and shook it in to disperse it. After an hour, in the fridge, it was thicker. It tended to act like jello (Firm) until I shook it again then it is pourable and thicker than a vinegar/pepper/salt solution. Don't get impatient or like me, you'll add more before you need to.

Baking with it. It acts like gluten which would help if you are baking a non-grain bread. How To Bake With Xanthan Gum

Gravy, emulsions, foams, lots of fun. How to Use Xanthan Gum - Modernist Cooking Made Easy

ETA: Xanthan Gum is temperature insensitive and sauces/gravies can be frozen and thawed without weeping or separated. (unlike cornstarch, potato flours)

It is used in such small volumes, it might not help with gut transit times. What does work is psyllium powder, about a teaspoon quickly beaten to death in cold water, followed by another cup of water. Psyllium powder is also used in some keto baking recipes for breads and cookies. If you use it in baking and eat that daily, you can skip the teaspoon in water each day.

Last edited:
I've all but stopped using xanthan gum. My "go to" thickener these days is konjac flour. Love the stuff, although it takes some getting used to. You have to be very careful with it because it has significantly more thickening potential than cornstarch. A single tablespoon will transform a cup of liquid into a gel that will hold a spoon upright. Also, it will set up in cold or hot liquids - quicker in hot liquids, though.

As mentioned earlier, konjac is somewhat unique in that it has properties that help lower blood glucose, which is a win-win.

As far as xanthan goes, I used it in my homemade bottled hot sauce this last year. It helps keep solids in suspension, so that your sauce doesn't separate.

Back
Top Bottom