7-day old homemade spaghetti sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
So, I know I'm opening a can of worms here. I know, when in doubt throw it out.... and I usually only keep anything for 3 days.

I made spaghetti sauce last Sunday. I thought DH had put it in the freezer... I just found it behind the cottage cheese. :ermm: Still ok you think?
There's no meat in it.

I've kept spaghetti sauce as long as 10 days and it was fine. Smell it and you can tell. When it spoils you will know it, believe me.

take a small bite...is it sour? Does it smell bad...? I think it might be ok if you answered NO to both questions.

all right, i'll take a taste, but if I suddenly stop answering questions you may have to make a long distance 911 call because I'm laying on the kitchen floor clutching my stomach....
:)

Well....... I just used some sauce that I made that was probably at least a week old.
I'm pretty sure in one of the fridge-on-the-fritz threads, that tomato based sauces seemed to ride the line as being something that doesn't go bad that quickly, or may still be salvagable, because of the acids.
And I remember Jeekins saying that homemade sauce lasts quite a while in the refrigerator when I was discussing the convenience of having jarred sauce on hand.

So that's my weigh-in. I've always used tomato sauces that were older than a week, and I'm O... ahhhh, ahhhh, ahhhh
Acckkkk

LOL Pacanis!!!!!!!!
Thanks. It tastes ok, smells alrighjklhlknbvtxl, b
(falls to floor with thud)

I've had homemade sauces last that long with no ill effects even with meat. But, I think 7-days is pushing the envelope.

I agree with Michael that 7 days is pushing it, but I if it looked and smelled and tasted fine then I would probably still eat it.

If it doesn't taste funny and doesn't have anything fuzzy on it, in our house, we'd eat it. It's all a matter of where it's been in my fridge. If it was in the back, it would be fine because the back is so cold.

I agree with Michael that 7 days is pushing it, but I if it looked and smelled and tasted fine then I would probably still eat it.

Personally i agree that 7 days might be too much

If it smells OK and a small taste is OK. I would go fot it.

If in doubt, send a plate of spagetti over to a neighbor, preferably one you don't like. Wait an hour and pick up the plate. :)

AC

You know I'm kidding, right?

If it smells OK and a small taste is OK. I would go fot it.

If in doubt, send a plate of spagetti over to a neighbor, preferably one you don't like. Wait an hour and pick up the plate. :)

AC

You know I'm kidding, right?

Yeah, but if it is good, they'll be back for more ;)

LOL, we ate it last week.....
Here I sit. I'm feelin' fine.
Legogirl has a dr appt today, I can have her checked for spaghetti poisoning.
:)

Back
Top Bottom