"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Accidentally left Pork roast out overnight..

Greetings all, new to the forum.

We got in late from a trip to the city last night, and after unpacking all our groceries a large boneless pork loin roast was left out to be put in the freezer. This morning we noticed that it had been left out overnight sitting on the counter. The house thermostat is turned down overnight, and temps drop to about 16-17C, so the roast sat out on the counter for about 12 hours. It had also had a 3 hour trip from the city in the back of my truck at the 0C to +1C range. I put it in the freezer right away and I tend to think its ok, since I am a hunter I usually hang meat for many days before freezing, and I can't see how sitting overnight would harm it. My wife however, is insisting we throw it out and not take chances.

The meat was still cool to the touch when I put it in the freezer, I think its ok, what do the readers of this board think?

thanks in advance..

Old 03-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer

Unfortunately, your wife is right. 16C (which is about 60F if my conversion is correct) is too warm to store meat. The danger zone is 40-140F. Any meat left in that temp zone for more than a few hours becomes potentially unsafe to consume. That does not mean that it will definitely make you sick, but it is kind of like wearing your seat belt. You may not need it every time you drive, but the one time you do need it you will be sorry if you are not wearing it. With your meat, you could possibly eat it and be fine, but if you did get sick (and being in the danger zone that long greatly increases the chances of that) then you would be very sorry you took that chance.

BTW welcome to the forum!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I'd cook it and eat it. I wouldn't think twice. Others will probably tell you no but I've done worse and I'm still alive.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I would throw it out. You have violated the danger zone rules. In my house, it would not be worth the chance of being violently ill. You do not know how that meat was handled. There is a big difference between hunters hanging meat that is a whole carcass, compared to a chopped and carved up piece of meat that has had bacteria introduced with every cut.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
Senior Cook

It was in the temperature danger zone for too long so sorry to tell you, but it has to be thrown out. I always say better safe then sorry.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Say Bye Bye....I'm a food safety instructor and would not touch it.

Liz

My motto is "When in doubt, throw it out!"
Old 03-29-2009, 04:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

See, I told you no one would agree with you and me. I'm a single mom who has done similar. I think I'm just less susceptible to things and I'm only worried about my daughter and myself. My mother used to always by meat on the last available day so I grew up with a lot of risk.

Having said that, if it was frozen why you bought it, I would say it would have been perfectly fine to cook today but refreezing might not have been the best idea.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I wouldn't eat it. Food poisoning sucks.

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #9
Executive Chef

was it wrapped? how? shrink wrapped? no air getting to it? or loose wrapped with juices spilling onto the counter?

How will you cook it? (This is one I would make a stew and make sure it was well cooked)

But technically none of that matters...it was too warm for too long unless you know who raised the pig and how it was butchered.

So there are so many ifs and it isn't worth the risk of food poisoning which really is no laughing matter.

I certainly would not freeze it for later.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Hi Glenstr,

You only have one risk that I'm aware of: Staphylococcus food intoxication.

All other bacteria that may have grown on your roast will be killed in the cooking process, but Staph produces a toxin that is very very heat stable. It is the only common bacteria that produces a toxin that is heat stable.

Staph aureus is a common bacteria and the staff toxin is one of the leading causes of food borne illness.

So what is the risk? Totally unknown. Too big for me to take in this case and believe me no one has a natural resistance to this toxin if it is present.

I suggest if you don't want to throw it out, then cook it and you eat it. If you don't become violently ill within 6-12 hours, it should be alright for your wife to eat the leftovers.