"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Almost a Serious Accident!

Last night I was getting dinner ready. I had defrosted some butter chicken to go with basmati rice and a veggie.

When I do rice like this, I add some oil to the water and bring it to a boil before adding the rice. I brought the water to a boil just as SO got home from work. She wanted to relax for a bit before dinner so I turned off the burner and we went to sit and chat for a while.

Later, she went to shower and I restarted the water to boil for the rice. The water seemed to be taking a long time to boil. I was just standing there waiting for it to boil so I could add the rice and set the timer.

Then, without warning, there was a loud explosion! The lid flew off the pot and went flying across the kitchen floor and there was boiling oily water everywhere. How it missed me I have no idea but Iím sure glad it did.

Once my heart slowed down, I realized what had happened. The oil covered the surface of the water and temporarily kept it from bubbling as boiling water normally would. Pressure built up until it suddenly blew.

That got me to thinking. I do this all the time except for the stopping and reheating part and have never had a problem. Package directions always tell you to bring the water to a boil before adding the oil/butter. Now I understand better why thatís so.

Words to the wiseÖ

Old 01-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Thanks for recounting that.

In times of old sailors would spread oil on the water during storms to calm the seas down. Amazing what a thin film of oil can do on water.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
Master Chef

Ykies, I would have never thought that !! Thanks for the heads up Andy, and glad you're ok !

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #4
Head Chef

Andy, Glad you are ok That is scary!!!!

Josie
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef

super heated water. I've heard of that happening in a microwave, but...wow...
Old 01-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I have heard of this but had forgotten all about it.
Thanks for bringing this up.
And wow... that really could have been serious if you were peering over. That must have scared the heck out of you.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #7
Master Chef

WOW!

Glad you're ok and thanks for the lesson!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Master Chef

Ooo Nooo. I've had similar things happen in the nukulator when the simple surface tension of the water will keep it from actually coming to a boil until you touch it, then it can explode. But I've never though twice about adding the oil first to stuff like couscous or taboule mixes. I'll be careful in the future.

Different subject, similar experience. Exploding light fixtures. One time I was 13 or so, my mom in the hospital, an infant sister. She fussed or it was feeding time or something, and I picked her up and walked away, and the light fixture above her playpen exploded. I can't think what the result would have been if I'd been too busy to pick her up at that moment. I had something similar happen here, but luckily no one was upstairs when the light exploded (the fixture calls for three 60w lightbulbs and is totally enclosed, so since it's just a hall light, nothing I need to read by, so I only put in 2 bulbs). So ... be careful to not put in light bulbs more than the fixture specifies, and then still be careful, especially if it is an enclosed fixture in an old house (where the electricity can fluctuate more than in modern buildings).

I'm glad you weren't scalded.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
Flour Child

That's new to me...whoa
Glad you're still with us.
I'll never do that now.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm glad you're ok Andy--how scary! Thanks for letting us know, so that we will hopefully not have the same thing happen!

Barbara