Another "is it safe to eat it now" question on Beef in the crockpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennifer75

Senior Cook
At 2:00 yesterday afternoon I turned on the crock pot on Low and let my beef cook till about 8:30 last night, then I switched it to WARM and let it sit overnight, where it sits NOW.

Is it still good? Did the temp drop too low while on WARM or is it still good?

I'm at work and heading home now to scoop some in a bowl but I wonder if sitting on warm for the last 12 hours is bad?

I got rid of my refridgerator in preperation for an April 1st move out - a little sooner than planned but hey, a buyer is a buyer. So I couldn't put it away last night, thus the WARM decision.

It's been in the crock for nearly 24 hours? NO. Don't eat it. That's too long if it was just on warm. I have cooked chili for that long but I'm talking 18 quarts of chili and it needed that much time to fully marry together and it was cooking at 250 degrees the whole time.

I will eat anything, generally, but I would not eat beef from the crock after 24 hours.

Wouldnt it depend on the temperature of the beef?
I checked several sites and the general statement was "the warm setting should be used for no more than 4 hours" so 12+ is not recommended. You wouldn't leave a steak in a hot car in the middle of summer for 12 hours and then eat it, would you? Same thought process.

Well, I ate some. I couldn't help it. I feel fine. The beef was hot. And yummy. I turned off the crock however and will be tossing the remainder.

I won't do it again, I promise. It was real tender. Very Birria-like. Good.

Well, I ate some. I couldn't help it. I feel fine. The beef was hot. And yummy. I turned off the crock however and will be tossing the remainder.

Talk to us in 24-48 hours, that's how long food poisoning takes. I hope you're fine and I've been there with just really wanting to taste something and take my chances, so I understand.

Well, here is my view: Probably not recommended to eat but also probably safe IF You didn't take the top off the crock when you finished cooking. The reason is it had no living bacteria at that point and so there was nothing pathogenic to grow on warm.

However, since BF had some after it cooked so the pot was opened, utensils inserted, exposed to skin, hair, air and so on, it could have been contaminated.

This is similar to leaving the baked potato in the oven overnight if you just shut off the stove and don't handle them.

Anyway, hope you are alright in 12-24 hours from eating. That would be the normal time for problems to show up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom