"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-08-2008, 05:46 PM   #11
Head Chef

Bummer. They looked and smelled so great as I was tossing them down the disposal.

Thanks for the input, folks!

Lee

Old 07-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

yup, they're bad.

"fizziness" is the only way to tell if kimchi has gone bad.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #13
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Throw. Away. NOW.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Yes Kitchenelf - Champagne, soda tht is added to some other groovy drinks. Things like that.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:49 PM   #15
Head Chef

A shame, but yes... pitch it.

Putting on my zymurgist hat for a minute, the "fizz" is coming from the introduction of a gas (likely carbon dioxide) into the container. In a sealed container, that means the gas is being produced by bacterial activity inside the container.

Brewers and Vinters use this to carbonate beverages naturally. Often called "méthode champenoise" in the production of champagne it's simply yeast consuming available sugars and producing ethanol and CO2. In an oil filled jar of peppers and garlic it would be ?? consuming ??? and giving off ????? (Not a combination to experiment with).

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Bummer. They looked and smelled so great as I was tossing them down the disposal.

Thanks for the input, folks!

Lee
Hi Lee,
OK, you`ve tossed your batch down the kitchen diposal, good - but the saga does not end here!

You need to advise your friend/customer about the potential danger inherent in their product. There is no easy or soft way to do this. Get your friend/customer (ASAP) into your restaurant and let them know what you have found re. the "fizzing" and about your conversation on this site.

The chances are that your customer/friend may have made more jars and given them to family or friends or neighbours and these (IMHO) need to be recovered and destroyed. S/he needs to get them back.

No one likes to admit that their way of cooking or processing may be at fault and your friend`s/customer`s initial reaction will most likely be predicated on this- upset, concerned, denial, angry etc.. No-one likes to be seen to be at fault and therefore you need to come up with a rational explanation as to why you friend/customer should seek to "retrieve" jars.

You have ditched your gift, rightly so, IMHO, following conversation on this forum. However, your friend/customer is not so lucky. If s/he has given out jars to others or keeping for use in the family, the best solution that I can come up with for him/her to reclaim the jars or destroy them is to argue that s/he has discovered that there is a fault with the jars and get them back!

Alternatively, just get him/her to admit to all that they made a fault when making the preserve and get them to go round and collect all jars given to others!

I know which solution I would go for!

Hope this helps,
Archiduc