Awful smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Identify the odor first.
We once had a foul sewage odor every morning near the bar area. I found out that the J pipe under the bar sink wasn't trapping the odor. We rarely ran water through the bar sink that the water trapped in the J pipe had either spoiled or dried out, allowing foul odor from the main line to come up through the sink.

Also, check to make sure the drain vent pipe (which runs up and out the roof top) is clear of debris.

JF can you buy Jeyes Fluid where you are, if the smell is from your drains it will fix it.
An ex girlfriend got payback for my bad behaviour buy putting raw shrimp in the curtain pelmets in my house,the smell was like a satanic botty cough, it took me three weeks to find them, I deserved it:)

what are curtain pelmets? i will take your word that you deserved it. but i think it is kinda petty.

If it is a garbage disposal, chop up a lemon or a lime, or some fresh mint, and grind the living daylights out of it. Don't put in in whole, most disposals can't take it.

Called a plumber, no problem there. Pulled out the fridge, no little task, no problem there but somehow the smell has gone away. I am afraid it was a dead animal under the house and we may hear (or smell) from it again when spring gets here.

So glad the smell is gone, JF.......that's what's important!! Hopefully in the Spring all you'll smell is the fresh breath of spring, with the widows wide open. Spring will come.:flowers:

Spring will come.:flowers:

That's easy to say when you live in central Ca. Here it was 9 degrees today and that is not even considering the wind chill factor. When I lived in Oxnard it was 80 degrees on Christmas day. Not so here in michigan. I can't wait for spring to get here, it shouldn't take more than another year or too!:LOL:

That's easy to say when you live in central Ca. Here it was 9 degrees today and that is not even considering the wind chill factor. When I lived in Oxnard it was 80 degrees on Christmas day. Not so here in michigan. I can't wait for spring to get here, it shouldn't take more than another year or too!:LOL:

When I lived in Oxnard it was 80 degrees on Christmas day.
;) I'm in Santa Paula ;)
Shushhhhhhh.....fearing a lynching. :cool:

That can't be much more than 30 miles from Oxnard. I envy you your winter weather.

Thirty miles is about right JF.......the thermometer on my sunny front porch, looking at South Mountain reads 74 degrees this morning. Sending you warm best wishes.

I had a similar problem this autumn, but in my bathroom. Actually bathroom/laundry room/utility room/mud room. OK, I realized that I had many sources of the problem, including the farmland Midwest fall problem of maybe mice. So I just started scrubbing this and that and the other thing. Bleached and vinegared and ... well, on and on. I cannot move my washer/dryer without professional assistance, and was scared there was a dead mouse back there. But then the smell just went away. It did not seem to be connected to any of the many things I did to eradicate the problem. Just went away. I, too, wonder if the problem will come back when we finally reach temperatures over freezing for any length of time!

Hi Joe's Folk!

I have used bleach before to remove smells from my washer... but I haven't tried it on a stinky drain. Maybe that could work? Especially if a food has rotted or something has molded over.

Also, I once saw a television show where a woman had a terrible smell coming from the drain in her bathroom. Obviously, it couldn't have been caused by food, and she called the plumber. He didn't find anything wrong. The smell persisted. Eventually, she took a chance and called an exterminator/pest removal service. They found a dead animal underneath her home, and the smell had risen up through her drain! :ohmy:

I highly doubt that is the problem in your case, but if you can't find any other solution after a while, the possibility is certainly not off the table! lol!

I am afraid that it may have been a mouse or some other critter under the house. Guess we'll find out something one way or the other come next spring.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom