"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #31
Head Chef

That can't be much more than 30 miles from Oxnard. I envy you your winter weather.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM   #32
Master Chef

Thirty miles is about right JF.......the thermometer on my sunny front porch, looking at South Mountain reads 74 degrees this morning. Sending you warm best wishes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #33
Master Chef

South central coast sounds a heck of a lot better than north southern Ca.....lol...
Old 01-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
Master Chef

I had a similar problem this autumn, but in my bathroom. Actually bathroom/laundry room/utility room/mud room. OK, I realized that I had many sources of the problem, including the farmland Midwest fall problem of maybe mice. So I just started scrubbing this and that and the other thing. Bleached and vinegared and ... well, on and on. I cannot move my washer/dryer without professional assistance, and was scared there was a dead mouse back there. But then the smell just went away. It did not seem to be connected to any of the many things I did to eradicate the problem. Just went away. I, too, wonder if the problem will come back when we finally reach temperatures over freezing for any length of time!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:02 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

A mouse/rat...in the wall...behind the stove.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
South central coast sounds a heck of a lot better than north southern Ca.....lol...

Got that right roadfix. I also like saying I'm next door to Santa Barbara, instead of Los Angeles.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #37
Cook

Hi Joe's Folk!

I have used bleach before to remove smells from my washer... but I haven't tried it on a stinky drain. Maybe that could work? Especially if a food has rotted or something has molded over.

Also, I once saw a television show where a woman had a terrible smell coming from the drain in her bathroom. Obviously, it couldn't have been caused by food, and she called the plumber. He didn't find anything wrong. The smell persisted. Eventually, she took a chance and called an exterminator/pest removal service. They found a dead animal underneath her home, and the smell had risen up through her drain!

I highly doubt that is the problem in your case, but if you can't find any other solution after a while, the possibility is certainly not off the table! lol!
Old 01-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #38
Head Chef

I am afraid that it may have been a mouse or some other critter under the house. Guess we'll find out something one way or the other come next spring.