"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
Head Chef

Awful smell

I don't really know where to put this but I am hoping that someone can help. There is a horrible smell in my house and as near as I can tell it seems to be coming from the kitchen. But we cannot figure out exactly where although at this point we suspect the kitchen drain. We have torn the place apart trying to find the culperate. It does not seem to be coming from the fridge, stove, trash, garbage or anywhere else. So the only thing we can figure is that it must be the drain. I have put baking soda down the drain but it hasn't helped. The drain is not slow. It is dead winter here (thank God) or I suspect that the odor would be overwhelming. i just don't know what else to do. Any ideas? Should I call a plumber?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
I don't really know where to put this but I am hoping that someone can help. There is a horrible smell in my house and as near as I can tell it seems to be coming from the kitchen. But we cannot figure out exactly where although at this point we suspect the kitchen drain. We have torn the place apart trying to find the culperate. It does not seem to be coming from the fridge, stove, trash, garbage or anywhere else. So the only thing we can figure is that it must be the drain. I have put baking soda down the drain but it hasn't helped. The drain is not slow. It is dead winter here (thank God) or I suspect that the odor would be overwhelming. i just don't know what else to do. Any ideas? Should I call a plumber?
Give it another try with a whole bunch of baking soda and some white vinegar.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Have you tried looking up under your house for dead animals? I saw an episode of Billy the Exterminator where a raccoon had crawled up into the plumbing under the persons bathroon and died, it was summer there so I'm sure the smell was awful. You could possibly have the same problem if an animal got under the house near pipes that are warm and died. You might need to call an exterminator. Just a thought.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Honey Badger

Is it coming from the disposal side by chance?

If it is remove that black rubber ring and scrub it. Over time food particles and junk build up on it.

Vinegar and hot water down the drain helps.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

We had a bad smell coming from a drain and a plumber told us to pour a cup of bleach down the drain.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I second the idea about it being the disposal. A few years ago there was a horrible smell coming from the sink area, and I stuck my hand down the disposal (power safely turned off) and pulled out a rotting piece of pork that had wrapped itself around in there...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

the vinegar and baking soda has always worked for me. i do it before there is a smell. about once every two weeks.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaZ View Post
Have you tried looking up under your house for dead animals? I saw an episode of Billy the Exterminator where a raccoon had crawled up into the plumbing under the persons bathroon and died, it was summer there so I'm sure the smell was awful. You could possibly have the same problem if an animal got under the house near pipes that are warm and died. You might need to call an exterminator. Just a thought.
Sounds good to me.If you smell the drain and that awefull smell isn't there than it must be somethig else.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

If you don't know where the smell is coming from, all you can do is eliminate possible sources of the odor one at a time.

You did not indicate what kind of smell it was. Dead animal, rotting food, mildew/mold???
Old 01-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

That's a tough call. If your nose isn't telling you that it's the drain when you put it down there and give a whiff, it probably isn't. Not unless you're stuffed up, but the fact that the drain isn't slow means things are working as they should. Are you running a fan when you notice the smell? Maybe it's pulling the smell from another area.