"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-07-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Master Chef

But what if you want to do it on the grill. Hmmmm? The intense heat of a charcoal grill will cook the steak to perfection, along with the bacon, and all at the same time. Now a grill cooks mostly by radiant heat. How can we do that in the house? Why, with the broiler of course, turned on its highest setting, with the meat close to the heat source.

Here is a classic Tournedo recipe using Fillet Mignon, fresh artichoke hearts, bacon, and a broiled portabella mushroom cap. Can you say yum!

Ingredients per person;
1 Fillet Mignon, cut 2 inches thick from the center of the beef tenderloin
1 portabella mushroom cap, sized to fit the steak
1 fresh artichoke
1 thick slice of bacon
3 tbs. clarified butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Steam the artichoke until tender. Remove and save the leaves to be savored with drawn butter or mayonnaise later. Remove the choke to expose the heart. Set the heart aside.

Fire up the broiler on highest setting.

In a heavy frying pan, heat the clarified butter over medium-high heat. While the butter is heating, wind the bacon slice around the fillet and secure it with a toothpick or piece of butcher's twine. Place the Fillet into the hot pan and sear for two minutes on each side. Set aside. Place the mushroom cap, gill-side up on your cutting board and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Lightly salt. Place the steak back into the pan with the mushroom cap sitting next to it, gill-side up. Place under the broiler for 3 minutes. Turn over both the steak and the mushroom and grill another 3 minutes. Remove from under the broiler and plate by placing the artichoke heart leaning against the Tournedo. Remove the toothpick and top with the mushroom cap. If desired, serve with bergundy sauce. Me, I like A1 Steak sauce or Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce with mine, and a tall glass of ice-cold milk to cut the richness of the meal. Mashed potatoes made in the skin, and steamed carrots with honey go wonderfully with this meal.

And as good as this is, it's much better when done over a solid bed of charcoal.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I wouldn't eat the bacon. I think the main purpose is to keep the beef moist by rendering a bit of its fat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not...eat...the...bacon...?!?
WOW...I can't believe someone would actually leave a good piece of bacon! ALWAYS eat the bacon!

Tags
bacon, beef