Bacon-wrapped filet mignon/steak recipe...raw bacon, overcooked beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hypeforlife91

Assistant Cook
Hi there,
I'm still very new to cooking. I tried this recipe which is to wrap boneless steak inside a strip of bacon. I used a countertop toaster oven for it. However, the problem I am having is that the steak would be cooked already and the bacon would be still a little pink after broiling for 5-7 minutes on each side. Is the bacon okay to eat or will people get sick?

When I wait a bit longer, the bacon would get crispy, but the beef would be tough. What am I doing wrong? I even scored the beef already.

Thanks!

I agree w/Josie and Z. Also, make sure it is really thin bacon. Another way might be to get a hot pan and "roll" the steak on the bacon to start it then into the oven? Might work.

Bacon has sodium nitrates, or nitrites (I always get them mixed up!) that causes the meat to stain pink unless it's very well done. If the bacon has that bacon texture, you know, somewhat chewy, and a little crisp, then it's done through and won't cause anyone any problems.

Look at bacon place raw into baked beans, or soup. It remains pinkish-brown, even when it's been in the dish cooking for hours.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hi there,
I'm still very new to cooking. I tried this recipe which is to wrap boneless steak inside a strip of bacon. I used a countertop toaster oven for it. However, the problem I am having is that the steak would be cooked already and the bacon would be still a little pink after broiling for 5-7 minutes on each side. Is the bacon okay to eat or will people get sick?

When I wait a bit longer, the bacon would get crispy, but the beef would be tough. What am I doing wrong? I even scored the beef already.

Thanks!

There's your problem, hype. I do mine in a screaming hot cast iron skillet, and like Al mentioned, I roll it around on the edges to release some of the bacon fat to the pan. Then lay it flat and cook on each side to desired doneness. No better steak in all the world! By the way, I use the thickest bacon available from the meat deli case. None of that thin stuff for mine!
Welcome to DC, you'll like it here.
:chef:

Last edited:
There's your problem, hype. I do mine in a screaming hot cast iron skillet, and like Al mentioned, I roll it around on the edges to release some of the bacon fat to the pan. Then lay it flat and cook on each side to desired doneness. No better steak in all the world! By the way, I use the thickest bacon available from the meat deli case. None of that thin stuff for mine!
Welcome to DC, you'll like it here.
:chef:

Thats EXACTLY how to do it!!!

But what if you want to do it on the grill. Hmmmm?:ermm: The intense heat of a charcoal grill will cook the steak to perfection, along with the bacon, and all at the same time. Now a grill cooks mostly by radiant heat. How can we do that in the house? Why, with the broiler of course, turned on its highest setting, with the meat close to the heat source.

Here is a classic Tournedo recipe using Fillet Mignon, fresh artichoke hearts, bacon, and a broiled portabella mushroom cap. Can you say yum!

Ingredients per person;
1 Fillet Mignon, cut 2 inches thick from the center of the beef tenderloin
1 portabella mushroom cap, sized to fit the steak
1 fresh artichoke
1 thick slice of bacon
3 tbs. clarified butter
Salt and Pepper to taste

Steam the artichoke until tender. Remove and save the leaves to be savored with drawn butter or mayonnaise later. Remove the choke to expose the heart. Set the heart aside.

Fire up the broiler on highest setting.

In a heavy frying pan, heat the clarified butter over medium-high heat. While the butter is heating, wind the bacon slice around the fillet and secure it with a toothpick or piece of butcher's twine. Place the Fillet into the hot pan and sear for two minutes on each side. Set aside. Place the mushroom cap, gill-side up on your cutting board and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Lightly salt. Place the steak back into the pan with the mushroom cap sitting next to it, gill-side up. Place under the broiler for 3 minutes. Turn over both the steak and the mushroom and grill another 3 minutes. Remove from under the broiler and plate by placing the artichoke heart leaning against the Tournedo. Remove the toothpick and top with the mushroom cap. If desired, serve with bergundy sauce. Me, I like A1 Steak sauce or Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce with mine, and a tall glass of ice-cold milk to cut the richness of the meal. Mashed potatoes made in the skin, and steamed carrots with honey go wonderfully with this meal.

And as good as this is, it's much better when done over a solid bed of charcoal.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom