Bacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpmcgrew

Executive Chef
:)Ok heres a question what object used in the kitchen is usually the most ignored for keeping clean and germ free.Im sure someone will get it right away

:)Bingo, most people never think to soak and clean with a brush the wheels on a can opener especially after opening cans of meat like tuna.Have you ever seen the crud that can build up on one of those?

The wheel on my manual can opener gets washed every time I use it. The wheel on my electric can opener comes off to be cleaned, either by hand or in the dishwasher. I guess I'm a little anal about that. It just grosses me out to think what kind of ickies are on that wheel.

Can opener...okay, I'll buy that. I do suggest, however, that the hand sink comes in the top 10...

The wheel on my manual can opener gets washed every time I use it. The wheel on my electric can opener comes off to be cleaned, either by hand or in the dishwasher. I guess I'm a little anal about that. It just grosses me out to think what kind of ickies are on that wheel.
:)I dont wash it every time but if its tuna I make a point.I just know alot of people never think to wash them ever.Just a bit of small trivia on my part.

I received as a gift, one of those can openers that cuts the entire top off the can by cutting around the outer edge of the rim. In addition to working very well, it never gets dirty because it never touches the food in the can!

here is the question jumping in my mind for many days,How should i protect my pickles from bacterias in kitchen?

Last edited:
The can opener can look pretty sketchy, especially a commercially used Edlund "hand jammer" can opener. For those in a restaurant setting, you know exactly of what i speak...and for my experience, the health inspectors LOVE to get you on the can opener.

A home based can opener deserves the same amount of attention to detail as any other tool. Clean as you go, if you use it, WASH IT.

Back
Top Bottom