"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-04-2008, 05:38 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

You might also notice different coloured spots on corned meats, this can mean simply than the brine hasn't penetrated through the meat evenly.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Senior Cook

First, you did well to discard it. It doesn't really matter if it was safe or not, if you make a practice of discarding when you are not sure, you will potentially save yourself a lot of regret.

What you might have seen was iridescence. Iridescence on raw and cooked beef is NORMAL. It is natural to some beef muscles and does not mean the beef is bad.

The green splotches may be iridescences, but without seeing it, it is hard to tell.

OSU Meat Science: IRIDESCENCE IN RAW AND COOKED MEATS

Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I've seen inks used in inspection and grading cause odd discolorations on and in meat.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
Head Chef

Yesterday Kroger recalled thousands of pounds of ground beef. Some with expiration dates of July 21, over three weeks after grinding. For this reason, I seldom buy ground beef, but grind or chop my own. 3 weeks is way too long to keep ground beef in a plastic package. Especially in a relatively high temperature meat cooler. Green slimy meat? Never touch it. Would not buy it in the first place, but if it showed up, I would call the store manager. Many times they will give you store credit over the phone and you can discard it yourself.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:19 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
What you might have seen was iridescence. Iridescence on raw and cooked beef is NORMAL. It is natural to some beef muscles and does not mean the beef is bad.
I am familiar with iridescence. This was definitely not what was on my steak! It was a really sickly, greenish-grey and the rest of the steak had a slimy or hard *crust*. I believe people have a built-in ability to sense when their food is bad or off, and I could see it across the room.
Thanks for telling me about the iridescence though, I was never sure if it was alright to eat meat with it! =)
Old 07-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahd0w View Post
I am familiar with iridescence. This was definitely not what was on my steak! It was a really sickly, greenish-grey and the rest of the steak had a slimy or hard *crust*.
With that description there is no doubt it was bad.

Quote:
I believe people have a built-in ability to sense when their food is bad or off,
Theory is thats why the nose is over the mouth.

Quote:
and I could see it across the room.
Seems your boy friend needs lessons in shopping.

No crime in that. We all learned at some point. Fact is I'm still learning and hope to never stop.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:33 PM   #17
Head Chef

YOU PEOPLE, are just such good hearted folks, it's so nice to read all the good advice and experience speaking here.
And--well the people that ate the green meat aren't here anymore to give you their experience as they may have gotten sick and died.
Thanks! Bliss
Old 07-04-2008, 06:48 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
And--well the people that ate the green meat aren't here anymore to give you their experience as they may have gotten sick and died.

They at least got acquainted with their toilet.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:43 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

I have found that a $15.00 steak is not worth three days of not leaving the bathroom because of illness from being risky. Never eat anything that you have to hesitate whether or not if its good or bad. I have had foodborne illness more times than I care to remember from eating foods at weddings from being a DJ. Since I do not eat any "home" prepared mayo based salads anymore I have not been sick. Lean to the cautious side and you will be fine.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:21 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

Sometimes while shopping I see meat that has a weird color to it, like a soap bubble rainbow of some sort.
Most of the store meat is defrosted, so it loses it's appeal in my eyes, but most people eat that stuff (I do too).

What is that un-natural coloration?
Is it ok?

I see it in cold-cuts too sometimes :|