Bakelite Handle in Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcuser

Assistant Cook
I'm looking at a recipe that calls for the food to be in a Dutch Oven which is in turn to be placed, COVERED into a conventional oven.

The Dutch Oven is very old and has a lid with a bakelite knob (handle) on it.

Can this lid go in the oven for four hours at 325 degrees F.

My late mother, if I recall correctly, only used the thing on the stovetop.

Thanks for your advice.

I would unscrew it and plug the hole with aluminum foil--if the temp is 400* or above. You might wrap it with foil for temps below that.

I am not 100% sure, but I am 99% sure that they can go in the oven without a problem. Dutch ovens frequently are used in an oven.

But I think temp can be important. Le Creuset knobs are not guaranteed above 450* I think. Some folks are using those ovens for the NYTimes bread recipe and removing the knobs, just in case.
I have had old Dutch ovens, like Club aluminum and have put them in the oven. But not above 400*.

From Cookware.org
Q. Can cookware with non-metallic handles be placed in an oven?
A.

Some cookware handles are made of thermoplastic materials (which include phenolic and bakelite materials), that conduct heat poorly and therefore stay cool on top of the range. Depending on the type of material, the handle may be oven safe. Check manufacturer's literature to see what is a safe temperature for your handles inside the oven. Remember, the handles will be hot when they come out of the oven!

I would be willing to bet that 325 degrees is a cool enough temp that it would be fine.

FWIW I have been using my LC for the NY bread and have been setting my oven to 500. The handles have been fine.

I often finish cooking rice pilaf in a 400 degree oven. I just wrap the handle and the knob on the sauce pan in crinkled up aluminum foil.

The idea is to slow the transfer of heat from the hot air in the oven so the handles stay closer to the temperature of the food cooking, which cannot go much higher than 212 degrees as long as there is water in the food.

I think you are probably ok, if you wrap it up in foil. Wrap the whole cover if you are still concerned.

I think this is a difficult call depending on the age of the cookware in question. I have cookware with plastic handles that are over 30 years old. "Supposedly" they are oven-safe up to a temp of 350 degrees, but since all ovens differ, I've never used them this way. Went out & bought myself an inexpensive "Dutch Oven" with a glass top & metal handles.

I just didn't feel like checking the pot every few minutes to make sure the handles weren't melting - lol!!!! Not worth the aggravation vs. the price of the new pot.

I Personaly wouldn`t do it myself, with or without tin foil, it won`t make a jot of difference.

bakelite is a thermosetting plastic, and although once set it becomes altered in a way that heat won`t re-melt it, it WILL decompose and lose its nature over time with heating.
Brittleness and cracking is the most common effect (and a slight Ammonia smell too).
100-150c isn`t a problem in everyday use, above this over a duration and it`ll denature, and not in any visible way at 1`st.

actualy, another thing that may/maynot be noteworthy, is that unless what you call Bakelite is Extremely Old, it`s not actualy Bakelite at all, it`s something called Urea, it`s remarkably similar to bakelite in apearance though.
and it`s set in the same way too, except Microwaves are used to heat the puck up before the inserts and pressing takes place.

Back
Top Bottom