"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-15-2009, 07:35 PM   #1
Head Chef

Be careful of the mandolin

Yes, I did the unthinkable, I used a mandolin, and somehow forgot to use the device that will grab the cucumber at the end and help you not slice off part of your finger. I lost a little bit of skin and flesh, and had to throw out cucumbers, clean the breadboard, and mandolin, and let others finish the pickles. It's just so foolish of me. It took a day to stop the bleeding.

I was thinking I was the only one to do this, but when I told Kelly (girl down the road from work), she asked me if I did this on 'the ultimate slicing machine' from pampered chef. She did the same thing a number of years ago.
Then, later that month, her boyfriend moved in and he thought he was all that (and a bag of chips) and would never do anything as 'stupid' as that. He used the ultimate slicing machine and took off the side of his finger with it.

I told Linda at work about it and she told me it took a number of years to not have sensitivity in that fingertip she took off as well.

I'll just say, I'm glad I'm the ONLY person that has ever done this. So what's your story?
Laughing at myself, lesson learned, Bliss

Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I have two mandolins and never use the guards. However....I do use a butcher's Kevlar glove, which prevents me from adding extra protein to what I slice.

Sorry you had a mishap.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I don't have a mandolin but I do have a V-Slicer.

I have managed to be very careful with that. I have only cut my finger on it a couple of times-once while washing it!
Old 09-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Head Chef

Katie, I will look into the Kevlar glove, I don't want to do this again.
Andy, I've cut myself three times washing the food processor blade, I need to learn to be more careful, thank you both for the input. Bliss
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Everymom

OK, I WAS using the little guard thingy but my hand was wet and I sliced off a nice chunk of thumb meat. Fortunately, it was still partially attached so I slapped it back on and taped the heck out of it. Icky clean up though.

Mandolins are scary. They work great and fast as lightning but too many bits can get taken off just as quickly. I feel more in control with my knives thanks.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Location: I live right smack-dab in the middle of cajun country in South Louisiana.
My DH bought one years ago and neither one of us have ever used it - scared to death of that little finger amputator
Old 09-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
Head Chef

I'm afraid of them, as a violinist, I am sensitive about sharp things around my fingers...
speaking of mandolin, my husband is playing his now... (in preparation for our regular Irish session tomorrow night)

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

It's really quite safe if you use the guard all the time.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #9
Master Chef

I use cut resistant gloves and a guard, better safe than sorry.
Old 09-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It's really quite safe if you use the guard all the time.
Ditto. Thankfully, no story to share since I ALWAYS USE THE GUARD ALL THE TIME. If you don't respect your cooking tools, they ain't gonna respect you.