Beef Bones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nes

Assistant Cook
We bought a 1/6th cow, it arrived on friday, they arrived frozen - the big freezer is broken. I have bones from a full half. They have been refridgerated but not frozen since then.

How much longer do I have before they will go bad?

I have the feeling I will be making A LOT of beef stock today... . Just finishing up some overnight chicken stock in my crock pot!

:chef:

There is no way to know how long it will be before they go bad, but I would not want to go more than 4 or 5 days personally.

We get a side of beef a year and I use the bones to make stock and demi-glace.

I would use up the bones in the next day or two.

How are you going to store the stock? Bones from a side of beef can make A LOT of stock and I'd be worried about having freezer space for it if you don't have space for the bones.

How are you going to store the stock? Bones from a side of beef can make A LOT of stock and I'd be worried about having freezer space for it if you don't have space for the bones.

I have no idea... . I'm so frustrated right now!! At least we got all of our portion & one of my husband's friend's portions into our freezer, but now we have no room for anything else.

If I can get the rest of the beef down to my husband's friend today then I should have the space for the stock & some bones.

I was so looking forward to using these bones up slowly over the next few months :S.

Make your stock, buy a bunch of cheapo ice cube trays and you can pour/freeze/store your stock in a very convenient form.

I did that with some leftover chipotles, and now when I want to add chipotle to some mayo, or dip or whatever I just take a chipotle popsicle and nuke it for 15-20 seconds or so and mix it up!

Make your stock, buy a bunch of cheapo ice cube trays and you can pour/freeze/store your stock in a very convenient form.

Thank you I had forgotten about this technique! I was just going to throw the stock in zip-lock bags, but ice-cube shapes would be much more convenient!

Side-note: my kitchen smells LOVELY!! :chef:

We've never purchased beef straight from the farm before, but this little fella actually grew up in my backyard (well, just over the fence!). Unbelievably delicious and the farthest he's travelled his entire life was about 20 minute away & back for his ... final trip.

I freeze stock and reduce the space by reducing a pot full of stock down to a couple of ice cube trays. Reconstituting is quick.

FYI: Beef bones freeze well if you have the space, and you can make up your stock later.

If it's been refrigerated only, it depends on how much temp your refrigerator is. If it is from the range of 7 - 10 degree centigrade. It will last only for 4 - 6 days. :)

Back
Top Bottom