Before I poison myself!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Douzer77

Senior Cook
Brussells Pate with a use by date of 31 May? Safe to eat or not? It's a supermakets own brand. (have already eaten two crackers with some on and it tastes fine!:chef:)

Help!!!!

Yah, the dates on commercial products are very conservative for the most part, as long as it has not been previously opened. I agree, go by the nose.

Even if it has been opened but properly wrapped it could still be ok. BTW, how long HAVE you had it open? That might be a good question to ask here!

Just opened tonight and was munching my way through the second cracker when i looked at the date! Bought it last saturday week!

Yeah Yeah! Half way through it now so hope its 2008, although my sight is going a bit wonky with the food poisoning!

Well we will know tomorrow if you show up here or not.

Seriously though, like KE said, those dates are not law. they have no way of knowing ahead of time how long something will last to the day. Use your nose and tongue. If it was bad you would have known it already.

Hee Hee! Yes, definitely test with your tongue to see if it is poisonous or not. Seriously though, "spoilage" is noticeable, but botulism has NO taste or visual clue. It just kills.

A "use by" date is what the mfg/producer recommends to be the last date the producte will have it's optimum flavor, nutrition and texture - from their estimate. It does not mean it suddenly goes rotten on the next day.

I think everyone should open another past-dated jar to celebrate!
87.gif

I think everyone should open another past-dated jar to celebrate!
87.gif
When we told my parents and grandparents (who happened to be visiting at the time) that we were pregnant for the second time my mom opened a bottle on Dom to celebrate. It was past its date :huh: Grandma was the only one who did not seem to mind :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom