"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM   #11
Master Chef

Maple syrup and honey are both hygroscopic in nature. That is, they absorb the moisture from organizms and soft tissues, such as meat. This is because of the extremly high sugar content. Nothing grows in honey, though some spores can exist in the sticky stuff, but not grow until more liquid is added. Syrup has more liquid in its sugar/liquid ratio. There are very few molds or other organisms that can live in it, and fortunately for us, are harmless to us, though they taste nasty. Though there is water in maple syrup, it is unavailable to most organisms. Instead, the sugar sucks the moisture out of them and they die.

As was previously stated by others, simply skim the mold from the top of the syrup, and then, if still feel funny about it, Carefully wipe the jar where any mold might have grown, and transfer the syrup to a clean, sterilized container.

In the Eastern U.S., and the Great Lakes region, people have been doing this with syrup for centuries, and I've never known anyone to get sick from eating maple syrup.

As with all things, use your best judgment. If you are uncomfortable using maple syrup, or any other food, throw it out. Myself, I've got the proverbial cast iron stomach. I'd skim it and use it.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Senior Cook

I refrigerate my maple syrup. Before using I pour the desired amount in a small pitcher and microwave until warm.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by recipedirect View Post
I refrigerate my maple syrup. Before using I pour the desired amount in a small pitcher and microwave until warm.
Yes. Exactly what we do in our house.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I knew that would be the question.

Back to the tried and true answer....."when in doubt, throw it out".
I tend to agree with you, Kayelle. hmmmm my maple syrup is in a tin can. I can't see what's going on inside there.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:31 AM   #15
Cook

If the black mold is only growing around the inside of the lid of the bottle and not in the bottle itself, wouldn't the contents be safe as long as they don't/haven't touched the mold?
Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

I wouldn't dare it Phaedra

After all, it's not THAT expensive!

Usually, if you have mold growing it's because the bottle is not completely sealed and some air has gotten into the maple syrup bottle.

A finelly sealed maple syrup bottle will last easily up to 3 years unopened.