"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-08-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
Head Chef

Black smudges inside maple syrup bottle?

Six months ago I was given a bottle of pure Canadian maple syrup. It's been opened since and been sitting in the pantry in my warm kitchen. It's about half-consumed now. I noticed recently though that many blackish smudges have appeared all over the inside of the bottle above the syrup level. I tried rubbing them off using a stick wrapped in paper towel moistened with vodka (which evaporates cleanly). But I couldn't get all of the smudges out due to the shape of the bottle.

What are those dark smudges? Is the remaining maple syrup still safe to consume if I pour it out and it gets in contact with the smudges? Should I have stored the bottle in the fridge? Please help. Thanks! I don't want to toss out this precious maple syrup! They don't sell them here!

Old 03-08-2007, 10:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef

My guess is that it is just the maple syrup sticking to the sides of the bottle. The sugar is dark since it fresh maple syrup. No doubt the cap is sticking as well when you try to open the bottle?

Old 03-08-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I think it's mold. The syrup should have been refrigerated after opening.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #4
Sous Chef

As Andy said it is mold, no doubt. Real maple syrup is not as "sugary" in concentration and hence not as resistant to mold.
Truth be told, as good as that syrup is, I would pour it off and see if the mold is just a the top. Unfortunately, it may be all through it. But if it isn't, I would pour it off and bring it to a boil and use it.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I had a different image in my mind when I read chopstix post. Since the smudge (which I pictured as maple syrup sticking to the sides) is above the syrup line, I agree that it's probably mold. I would toss it out.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #6
Executive Chef

It's mold. Pure maple syurp has to be refrigerated after opening. Mold may still form in the bottle in the fridge, but it's safe to consume after you spoon off the mold. I'm not sure about syrup that has been at room temperature, however.
It's possible that boiling the sryup will kill any pathogens, but I'm not sure. I can look into this.....

To be safe, I'd just toss the entire contents out, and chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:38 AM   #7
Head Chef

Thanks folks. You're probably right that it's mold. I don't think the mold is in the syrup though. I'll try getting the mold out again then do Candocook's suggestion. If the syrup has no off-taste, I'll try siphoning it out, boil it then use it. Now if you guys don't ever hear from me again, you can conclude one thing: I should just have tossed it out.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:37 AM   #8
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink

Oops ! I have always kept my pure maple syrup in the cupboard, have never had any problem. Could it be caused by the humidity ?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb L.
Oops ! I have always kept my pure maple syrup in the cupboard, have never had any problem. Could it be caused by the humidity ?
I'm thinking yes. I keep all unopened cans in the coldroom. Once opened, it gets put into a container and kept in the fridge.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
Master Chef

Don't most containers say to keep it refrigerated? Mine always have.