Black smudges inside maple syrup bottle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
Six months ago I was given a bottle of pure Canadian maple syrup. It's been opened since and been sitting in the pantry in my warm kitchen. It's about half-consumed now. I noticed recently though that many blackish smudges have appeared all over the inside of the bottle above the syrup level. I tried rubbing them off using a stick wrapped in paper towel moistened with vodka (which evaporates cleanly). But I couldn't get all of the smudges out due to the shape of the bottle.

What are those dark smudges? Is the remaining maple syrup still safe to consume if I pour it out and it gets in contact with the smudges? Should I have stored the bottle in the fridge? Please help. Thanks! I don't want to toss out this precious maple syrup! They don't sell them here! :(

My guess is that it is just the maple syrup sticking to the sides of the bottle. The sugar is dark since it fresh maple syrup. No doubt the cap is sticking as well when you try to open the bottle?

As Andy said it is mold, no doubt. Real maple syrup is not as "sugary" in concentration and hence not as resistant to mold.
Truth be told, as good as that syrup is, I would pour it off and see if the mold is just a the top. Unfortunately, it may be all through it. But if it isn't, I would pour it off and bring it to a boil and use it.

I had a different image in my mind when I read chopstix post. Since the smudge (which I pictured as maple syrup sticking to the sides) is above the syrup line, I agree that it's probably mold. I would toss it out.

It's mold. Pure maple syurp has to be refrigerated after opening. Mold may still form in the bottle in the fridge, but it's safe to consume after you spoon off the mold. I'm not sure about syrup that has been at room temperature, however.
It's possible that boiling the sryup will kill any pathogens, but I'm not sure. I can look into this.....

To be safe, I'd just toss the entire contents out, and chalk it up to a lesson learned.:chef:

Thanks folks. You're probably right that it's mold. I don't think the mold is in the syrup though. I'll try getting the mold out again then do Candocook's suggestion. If the syrup has no off-taste, I'll try siphoning it out, boil it then use it. Now if you guys don't ever hear from me again, you can conclude one thing: I should just have tossed it out. :wacko: :LOL:

Oops ! I have always kept my pure maple syrup in the cupboard, have never had any problem. Could it be caused by the humidity ?

Barb L. said:
Oops ! I have always kept my pure maple syrup in the cupboard, have never had any problem. Could it be caused by the humidity ?
I'm thinking yes. I keep all unopened cans in the coldroom. Once opened, it gets put into a container and kept in the fridge.

Andy M. said:
I think it's mold. The syrup should have been refrigerated after opening.

I'm thinking the same thing!

To coin the phrase, Chopstix; When in doubt, throw it out. And get a fresh bottle of it. Don't take any chances at all.

As a matter of fact, that happened to me some time ago. But the bottle or maple syrup that I bought was supposed to have the maple flavor to it and it had nothing! Just a sweet taste to it and no maple flavor. Dead!

And it was supposed to be all natural. So it ended up staying in the cupboard. Then on day, I wanted to make some pancakes for breakfast, went to get the syrup and found out that it had little spots of fuss on the top of it!

I had no choice but to toss it out. The next time I went back to the supermarket, I went right back to the syrup that we used when we were kids all at home - Vermont Maid! I know that this one is laden with sweeteners and such, but I can still get that luscious maple flavor when I use it!

I once made maple walnut ice cream with it.

Last edited:
Corey:

Next time, try the Grade A Dark Amber or Grade B maple syrup. These have a more pronounced maple flavor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom