black specs in cornmeal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vegton

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! This is my first post so hopefully I'm putting this where it should be. :)

I'm new to baking and I just went to use some cornmeal and I saw that it had black specs in it. Last year we had some bugs in our pasta boxes and since then I've been PARANOID that bugs are in everything in my cupboards. Are these black specs normal? Or are they bug castings??

I looked through the cornmeal and don't see anything living so would there still be bugs in there if there had once been bugs?

Help! :)

I've never had black specs in my cornmeal; I'd toss it out.

I just checked my box of Alber's Yellow Corn Meal, which has been open for a year. There are a few darker pieces, maybe a couple in a teaspoonful, among the yellow specs. The darker ones are more brown than black, and they're the same size and shape as the yellow ones, so I'm confident that they're corn, not bug droppings.

BTW, I keep all my flour, sugar, cornmeal, etc., in ziplock bags or in the plastic bags in which I brought them home from the supermarket, tightly sealed with a twister. I transfer open boxes of cereal and grains (rice, etc.) to large sealable plastic containers. I haven't found a bug in anything in a long, long time, although we are occasionally plagued with silverfish in the cabinets.

A few dark specs in commercial cornmeal is normal -- They come from the "hilar" on the corn kernel which connects the germ to the rest of the kernel. It also connects the kernel to the cob....They are harmless! In stone ground meal they are more numerous.
Check out your Fritos, and Doritios which are made from whole grain corn...You will think they added black pepper to them....:LOL:

Enjoy!

They sound like flour weevils to me, but I'm not a bug expert. If they were in your pasta it might be the same thing.

I don't know what do to about it. I'm divorced and single so I have room and keep everything in the fridge that's open.

Yes, there's a lot. Some are bigger than others. I'm guessing I'm going to toss it. :(

Yes, there's a lot. Some are bigger than others. I'm guessing I'm going to toss it. :(

Dump the meal out of the bag or whatever onto a cookie sheet - If you have any weevils you will see them move -- If you see no movement then chances are you are seeing what I have already described above. However if you feel uncomfortable about the meal...just toss and replace it with a fresh bag --- It's what now? less than $3. :)

If the dark things are different in size and shape from the yellow stuff, it ain't corn! Dump it.

A few dark specs in commercial cornmeal is normal -- They come from the "hilar" on the corn kernel which connects the germ to the rest of the kernel. It also connects the kernel to the cob....They are harmless! In stone ground meal they are more numerous.
Check out your Fritos, and Doritios which are made from whole grain corn...You will think they added black pepper to them....:LOL:

Enjoy!
Thanks UB, now I can make some shrimps and polenta with no fear of little critters meeting their end!! :LOL:
kades

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom