Bread contains eggs and is a little undercooked; safe to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I just made a sweet potato quick bread, which contains 2 eggs, and after cooking it for the recipe recommended time, removed it from the oven (tested with a tooth pick and had a few moist crumbs as the recipe instructed).

Well... now after it's out of the oven for 20 minutes and I removed it from the pan, I sliced it down the middle and there is a part in the middle that's still very doughy and not cooked as it should be. At this point I don't feel like I can re-bake it... so I'm wondering if it's still safe to eat? It was in the oven at 350 for 40 minutes so would that fully cook the eggs?

If it's just a matter of being a little underdone, I don't really mind, I kind of like baked products on the doughy side, but obviously if it's a risk due to the eggs it isn't worth it.

What do you think?

That's common with quick breads, and it is very likely if the rest of the loaf was baked that part got hot enough to be safe.

I'd still toss the undercooked part and go ahead and eat the rest. It sounds like a lower temperature with more time might be better next time - if it tastes good enough to try again.

Yup, I agree I cook my quick breads low and slow, helps get that little bit cooked without burning the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom