"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart View Post
Very low chance of a problem, but why take any chance over a few cents worth of crumbs.
I'm an every penny counts type of girl. I do appreciate the rest of the info, it really helps.

I was actually able to get all the clumps out but then left the crumbs on the counter for a couple days and they got soft. Panko isn't cheap around here so I was looking for ways to save and save again. The bag idea and adding a little at a time were great suggestions. I'll use them next time. I went by the recipe amount and it was a whole box wasted when all was said and done.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
I'm an every penny counts type of girl.
If you have a food processor, why not make your own Panko crumbs? I agree the are expensive for what amounts to 50 cents worth of white bread.

Old 01-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
If you have a food processor, why not make your own Panko crumbs? I agree the are expensive for what amounts to 50 cents worth of white bread.
How? I thought Panko was special.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:20 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I was wondering that, too, so I googled it :From Our Home to Yours - Recipes: Panko Breadcrumbs

Panko bread crumbs are larger and more coarse than regular bread crumbs, so if you pulse them in the food processor, it should work. Cool - panko is pretty expensive here, too, and I can make a loaf of white bread in the bread machine for less than $1.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:00 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
I've never used the shredding disk for Panko, just put several day old bread torn in pieces w/o the crusts in the bowl and pulsed with the metal blade until they looked right.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
I've never used the shredding disk for Panko, just put several day old bread torn in pieces w/o the crusts in the bowl and pulsed with the metal blade until they looked right.
The shreader blade did seem odd. I'll try the day old thing.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Very low chance of a problem, but why take any chance over a few cents worth of crumbs.

Only one is 10,000 eggs is estimated have Salmonella. In order to grow sufficiently to make you ill, the organism needs sufficient moisture. Most of what ever small amount of moisture exists would soon be taken up by the crumbs, and the organism, if present would soon die.

Though probably safe, I would prefer not to eat dried, clotted egg on my next chicken cutlet, so I would toss them.

Of course, if you use pasteurized in the shell eggs, then the chance is very, very low.
I think the more likely source of a problem would be whatever was rolled in the crumbs, especially raw chicken, and particularly when it's allowed to incubate for a long time.

As I've said before, I've had food poisoning three (or is it four?) times in my life. My mother and I nearly died (or so it seemed) from food poisoning that we got at a church picnic when I was about 10 or 12. I got it again in college (not sure of the source) and again from a lovely dive in downtown L.A. called Kosher Burrito (which in typical L.A. fashion was run by a Korean family) -- they used to make the burritos (pastrami was the pseudo Kosher part) in the morning for the lunch crowd, wrapping them in foil and putting them in an insulated chest to keep them warm; I went there about 2:00 p.m. and got the last one in the chest, which was apparently the first one made in the morning, and, boy, was it ripe!

Hugging the toilet and calling for Ralph all night long isn't my idea of fun, and it's certainly not worth taking silly chances to save a couple of pennies. Of course, if you don't care much for your family....
Old 01-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Scotch ~ your racist remarks aren't appreciated "in typical LA fashion..." is totally uncalled for and completely false. Your additional digs telling me I don't care for my family are also insulting.

I have a wonderful cast iron stomach and the only thing that makes me sick is my old employer that caused me issues every morning. The recipe that I used the bread crumbs with only used raw eggs, no fish, chicken, or beef. I don't tend to fry raw chicken because it never seems to get done enough. The issue is the egg that comes before the Panko. Mozart gave me some great info and thanks to Mozart for the info.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:16 PM   #19
Everymom

Callisto, I'm not sure Scotch meant to be racist, I believe he was pointing out that a Mexican sounding name was run by Koreans and the juxtaposition of races is typically LA style. I don't think the intent was to slam any race.

Scotch, did you mean to be humourous with that last bit about Callisto's family? I suspect so (...can you edit in a smiley?) Tough to tell what someone means sometimes with just writing isn't it?

Old 01-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Hi Alix, being from California I know for fact that statements such as "in typical LA fashion" are extremely racist. There is a great deal of stereotyping and racism that goes on in the area. His remarks are sooooo offensive and unforgivable. I've lived there, I've encountered the attitude. I know exactly what was meant.