Bread Crumb Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, this might be an odd question. I made a dish that required I dredge in eggs and then roll in panko bread crumbs. I ended up with a lot of breadcrumbs left over and ended up throwing them away because they'd been touched by raw egg. Was this necessary and how do I not waste so much next time?

When ever I use a crumb mixture, I only use just enough to coat one piece of meat at a time to eliminate any waste. You can always add a little more to the bowl/bag as needed.

I stick the crumbs in a baggie in the freezer. If you shake the plate or whatever into the baggie then the crumbs that are mostly untouched will fall in and the rest stick to the plate.

I like the bird idea but I don't see many around here lately. Heck, we haven't even seen a squirrel in weeks. We did have two deer in the backyard this morning but I don't know that they'd like bread crumbs. LOL

Okay, this might be an odd question. I made a dish that required I dredge in eggs and then roll in panko bread crumbs. I ended up with a lot of breadcrumbs left over and ended up throwing them away because they'd been touched by raw egg. Was this necessary and how do I not waste so much next time?

Yes, you needed to throw those crumbs away. I just pour them into a pie plate and add as needed.

Very low chance of a problem, but why take any chance over a few cents worth of crumbs.

Only one is 10,000 eggs is estimated have Salmonella. In order to grow sufficiently to make you ill, the organism needs sufficient moisture. Most of what ever small amount of moisture exists would soon be taken up by the crumbs, and the organism, if present would soon die.

Though probably safe, I would prefer not to eat dried, clotted egg on my next chicken cutlet, so I would toss them.

Of course, if you use pasteurized in the shell eggs, then the chance is very, very low.

Very low chance of a problem, but why take any chance over a few cents worth of crumbs.
I'm an every penny counts type of girl. :LOL: I do appreciate the rest of the info, it really helps.

I was actually able to get all the clumps out but then left the crumbs on the counter for a couple days and they got soft. Panko isn't cheap around here so I was looking for ways to save and save again. The bag idea and adding a little at a time were great suggestions. I'll use them next time. I went by the recipe amount and it was a whole box wasted :( when all was said and done.

Only one is 10,000 eggs is estimated have Salmonella. In order to grow sufficiently to make you ill, the organism needs sufficient moisture. Most of what ever small amount of moisture exists would soon be taken up by the crumbs, and the organism, if present would soon die.

Though probably safe, I would prefer not to eat dried, clotted egg on my next chicken cutlet, so I would toss them.

Of course, if you use pasteurized in the shell eggs, then the chance is very, very low.
I think the more likely source of a problem would be whatever was rolled in the crumbs, especially raw chicken, and particularly when it's allowed to incubate for a long time.

As I've said before, I've had food poisoning three (or is it four?) times in my life. My mother and I nearly died (or so it seemed) from food poisoning that we got at a church picnic when I was about 10 or 12. I got it again in college (not sure of the source) and again from a lovely dive in downtown L.A. called Kosher Burrito (which in typical L.A. fashion was run by a Korean family) -- they used to make the burritos (pastrami was the pseudo Kosher part) in the morning for the lunch crowd, wrapping them in foil and putting them in an insulated chest to keep them warm; I went there about 2:00 p.m. and got the last one in the chest, which was apparently the first one made in the morning, and, boy, was it ripe!

Hugging the toilet and calling for Ralph all night long isn't my idea of fun, and it's certainly not worth taking silly chances to save a couple of pennies. Of course, if you don't care much for your family....

Scotch ~ your racist remarks aren't appreciated "in typical LA fashion..." is totally uncalled for and completely false. Your additional digs telling me I don't care for my family are also insulting.

I have a wonderful cast iron stomach and the only thing that makes me sick is my old employer that caused me issues every morning. The recipe that I used the bread crumbs with only used raw eggs, no fish, chicken, or beef. I don't tend to fry raw chicken because it never seems to get done enough. The issue is the egg that comes before the Panko. Mozart gave me some great info and thanks to Mozart for the info.

Callisto, I'm not sure Scotch meant to be racist, I believe he was pointing out that a Mexican sounding name was run by Koreans and the juxtaposition of races is typically LA style. I don't think the intent was to slam any race.

Scotch, did you mean to be humourous with that last bit about Callisto's family? I suspect so (...can you edit in a smiley?) Tough to tell what someone means sometimes with just writing isn't it?

Hi Alix, being from California I know for fact that statements such as "in typical LA fashion" are extremely racist. There is a great deal of stereotyping and racism that goes on in the area. His remarks are sooooo offensive and unforgivable. I've lived there, I've encountered the attitude. I know exactly what was meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom