"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Look at it this way.

Suppose you quickly brown a pork tenderloin in a pan using high heat then remove it to a CLEAN plate while you sauté some apples. Then you return the pork to the pan.

What do you do with the undercooked, potentially contaminated pink juices that have collected in the CLEAN plate?

I add them to the pan before putting it in the oven. After watching decades of cooking shows on PBS and Food Network, I can attest that all TV chefs do as well.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Look at it this way.

Suppose you quickly brown a pork tenderloin in a pan using high heat then remove it to a CLEAN plate while you sauté some apples. Then you return the pork to the pan.

What do you do with the undercooked, potentially contaminated pink juices that have collected in the CLEAN plate?

I add them to the pan before putting it in the oven. After watching decades of cooking shows on PBS and Food Network, I can attest that all TV chefs do as well.
Oh yeah, I do that too.

Honestly, I seldom have one piece of meat. There is often more meat than I want to brown in one go, so I have to take another plate - the first one still has meat on it.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC

No offense if you keep kosher, but if you saute/brown a pork tenderloin for 30 minutes, it's probably over cooked at that point.
I meant sautéing the apples while the meat sits on the plate.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
Master Chef

To sum it up, in this scenario there is no danger in using the same plate. Phew.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Thanks for all the comments. I actually like the idea of using a paper plate so it can just be tossed afterwards.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Thanks for all the comments. I actually like the idea of using a paper plate so it can just be tossed afterwords.
A paper plate may be more problem than solution. The likelihood is there will be juices and that they will potentially contaminate whatever the paper plate is sitting on. Cross-contamination may well follow.

The best thing to do is what you were going to do; put the browned meat back in the original dish and add any accumulated juices along with the pork back to the pan to go in the oven.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozart

A paper plate may be more problem than solution. The likelihood is there will be juices and that they will potentially contaminate whatever the paper plate is sitting on. Cross-contamination may well follow.

The best thing to do is what you were going to do; put the browned meat back in the original dish and add any accumulated juices along with the pork back to the pan to go in the oven.
+1

Tags
meat, oven