Business end up or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you load silverware in the dishwasher?

• Business end up

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Business end down

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Random is fine - just grateful to get 'em washed at all.

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters
Business end up, except for sharp knives. Food ocasionally gets stuck in the basket, and I would rather it was on the handle. I always wash my hands before I empty the dishwasher, so I don't worry about touching the utensils, or anything else.

Business end up usually, except with spoons that tend to "spoon." In that case I alternate them. However, I refine the process further to include that, when putting in silverware, I have always inserted the pieces in "knives, spoons and forks." In that manner, such that in one section the knives are in one, spoons in another and the forks in the final section. After that, the cooking utensils are put into the basket.

I started this technique many years ago when my children were small and "loading and unloading" the dishwasher. They learned the proper "knife, spoon, fork" concept when it came to setting the table and it was much easier/efficient to empty the dishwasher as the drawers were arranged in a similar manner.

As for injuries, we've had many different configurations of dishwasher silverware baskets but, even when the children were small and emptying it, no real mishaps occurred. Once in a while someone would get "poked," but it was most often when they were not paying attention to the task at hand.

Don't know. I also played on gravel basketball courts and didn't wear a helmet when I rode my friend's bicycle....but that was a different era.:ROFLMAO:

Frankly, I don't care. I'm just delighted when someone loads them into the dishwasher and even more tickled when it's emptied. I make a big point not to sweat about the small stuff. And which way the silverware points doesn't even register a blip on my radar. =)

As usual, I am late getting into this!

My mother taught me to put them in forks and spoons up, knives down.

Food Safe taught me business side up all the time on everything.

School taught me to separate them into types in the baskets but didn't specify up or down

The catering firm I apprenticed at put them all in a dishwasher tray flat, rinsed them, put them trough the cycle twice, rinsed again and then separated them as carefully as possible as ends were everywhere!

At home I do spoons and forks up, knives down!

So I guess Mom won out on this one! :angel:

Late, as usual, but - everything up with knives in the far back holder, out of the way of accidental poking.

As usual, I am late getting into this!

My mother taught me to put them in forks and spoons up, knives down.

Food Safe taught me business side up all the time on everything.

School taught me to separate them into types in the baskets but didn't specify up or down

The catering firm I apprenticed at put them all in a dishwasher tray flat, rinsed them, put them trough the cycle twice, rinsed again and then separated them as carefully as possible as ends were everywhere!

At home I do spoons and forks up, knives down!

So I guess Mom won out on this one! :angel:

Did food safe say why?

Did food safe say why?

Likely for the sanitizing. Depending on whether it was chemical or heat sanitizing the end that touches food needs to be sanitized more carefully.

Child care facilities make you do business end down if there is any chance of kids being around.

Everyone has different rules.

Did food safe say why?

Likely for the sanitizing. Depending on whether it was chemical or heat sanitizing the end that touches food needs to be sanitized more carefully.

What Alix said! :)
Commercially you are supposed to wash your dishes basically by hand (rinse all food off in a sink full of water or by heavy spray and scrub where necessary) then put in the commercial dishwasher for a final clean but mostly sanitizing. Putting cutlery in baskets "business side up" ensures that they are completely clean.

I always do end up - I think they come out better that way. Knives I generally do toward the back of the rack so I know the pointy end is up - very few people other than me empty my dishwasher. Large knives go in the rack on top - I have knife holders, but don't use them because I won't be able to put the glasses in.

I must be the odd person here, I usually read the appliance manual and do what they suggest.

Back
Top Bottom