Business end up or down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you load silverware in the dishwasher?

• Business end up

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Business end down

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Random is fine - just grateful to get 'em washed at all.

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
At my house we have some disagreement about the proper orientation of eating utensils in the dishwasher basket.

Opinion 1: Business end down so that you don't have to handle eating surfaces when you unload clean and so that you might not be cut by a knife (if heaven forbid, someone put knives in the dishwasher).

Opinion 2: Business end up as they will likely get cleaner and drain better. Food bits won't end up in the basket.

Opinion 3: We don't need no stinking clean utensils. Dim the lights, lick em clean and call it good.

So - what's your take on this? Is one way better than another? Why?

Last edited:
:chef:I go for door number two!:chef: Just because I have always done it that way.:angel:

Up and pour them out on a towel when done, so you don't handle the business end.

Of course, a well placed pooch can get them mostly clean!

I go with the business end up for several reasons. Yes I think they get cleaner that way but also you can fit more into the container and when you are ready to take them out you can see what you are grabbing. It just makes it a little easier to put stuff away. ( And when the kids just want to grab one utinsil instead of putting away the whole tray at least they don't grab and dirty a handful of stuff to get the one they want.)

It's usually biz end up around here, except for steak knives and anything else pointy or sharp. I don't put the "cooking" knives in the dishwasher, I wash them by hand, but my husband does. They don't get put in the baskets. They lie flat where they won't get banged around.

Seen nasty accidents with folks who trip, or somehow fall and catch cutlery in the hand when they fall...business end DOWN in our house. Now that the cutlery basket is in the door of the dishwasher I'm not QUITE so anal about it though.

I always put sharp knives point down. Other pieces I mix between up and down so they cannot accidentally nest together.

I always put the business end up for cleanliness, except for steak knives, pointy end down for safety.

No problem now, no dishwasher except me.

I alternate, but it is deliberate, not random. If something had dried on the business end it gets put business end up, as I believe it catches more blast that way, but I alternate so that two like items are less likely to nest together. The whole front of the silverware holder drops down so unloading I can always grab the handle.

My dishwasher has a thingamagig for the utensils such that they have to be inserted business side up.

Steak knives go down, though.

I've always put them up. I could care less about touching them when they are clean.

I ask no one puts any utensils in the dishwasher, as I happen to be the dishwasher usually. Kathleen steps in for me on occasion. :LOL:

I also alternate to prevent nesting. I admit to putting paring knives into the dishwasher, but run them through the slots in the sides, no knocking together, and business end down.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Well, shoot, I clicked the wrong answer on the poll.:mad:

Business end down for me!! My fiance has different, opposite habits, though.:ermm:

I always rinse silverware so am not worried about food particles getting stuck. No worries about germs I may spread when picking them up to put them away; if my family is not immune to my germs now, I'd be surprised. Plus I keep my hands pretty clean.:rolleyes:

Bacardi determines how they end up in the dishwasher.:angel:

Craig

Back
Top Bottom