"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 01-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Campbell Recalls 300 Cases of Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce

Campbell Recalls 300 Cases of Prego® Traditional Italian Sauce Due to a Risk of Spoilage

Quote:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – December 31, 2013 – Campbell Soup Company (NYSE:CPB) is voluntarily recalling approximately 300 cases of 24-ounce jars of Prego Traditional Italian sauce because of a risk of spoilage.

The affected product was manufactured on December 15, 2013 and can be identified by the “Best By” date of June 16, 2015 and a four-digit, military time code ranging from “CT BJ ZV 0330” through “CT BJ ZV 0449.” This information is printed on the top of the lid as follows:
JUN 16 2015 12153
CT BJ ZV 0330 Through JUN 16 2015 12153
CT BJ ZV 0449

Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Glade we never buy jarred/canned prepared sauce.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Even if you did buy Prego I'm sure they'll take it back.
I feel for all the preppers with cases of this stuff stored in their secluded bunkers
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the info. I buy Prego about every other month. I only use about a tablespoon or two each time. So a jar lasts me for quite a while. So long that I usually end up tossing about a fourth of every jar. I don't like my pasta swimming in the sauce. Due to buy a jar tomorrow. Will definitely check the dates and codes. I copied them down.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #5
Head Chef

Addie, you should do what I do with tomato paste. When I don't use a whole can, the left overs I scoop out in to 1 tbl sizes and place on a cookie sheet, put in freezer till frozen then put in Ziploc bag for when I need a tbl or 2. you could but the unused sauce into Ice cube trays, when frozen pop them out and put into bag. then if putting on pasta, microwave the frozen in small dish. One tip if you do keep that ice cube tray just for that as it stains it and give ice cubes a funky taste.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook View Post
Addie, you should do what I do with tomato paste. When I don't use a whole can, the left overs I scoop out in to 1 tbl sizes and place on a cookie sheet, put in freezer till frozen then put in Ziploc bag for when I need a tbl or 2. you could but the unused sauce into Ice cube trays, when frozen pop them out and put into bag. then if putting on pasta, microwave the frozen in small dish. One tip if you do keep that ice cube tray just for that as it stains it and give ice cubes a funky taste.
Thanks. I have two trays that are just sitting under the counter in the cabinet. I never make ice cubes, so I should put them to use. And if they get stained, ice cube trays are so "cheap" that I can get two of them for just one dollar at the Dollar Store. (In my mind, "cheap" cost less than inexpensive.)

When the kids were small, I made a large pot of gravy at least once a week and it went really fast. Sometimes I might have enough for the freezer to use for their lunch. But cooking for just one, it is more cost effective to buy the jars.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Master Chef

Or do it the lazy way and dump into a ziplock and freeze flat and break off however much you need.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Glade we never buy jarred/canned prepared sauce.
And the definitive word there is "we". I cook for only one. You have multiple people to cook for, so it is more cost effective to make your own.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I don't buy Prego, but I do buy Ragu. Recently I realized that making pasta sauce for the two of us is much less expensive if I use tomato sauce and tomato paste. It makes a smaller amount, which I am still throwing away occasionally. I still use the jarred sauce for lasagne or sometimes make my own.

I have some tomato paste frozen the way you do, LetsCook. I use that for flavoring in other dishes.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

I cook for one and I make my own. I never compared costs. I'm not meticulous enough in that field to take into account cooking sauce on a stove compared to warming up what came out of a jar, gas/electric usage, five toes of garlic compared to the whole bulb, spices... did I open a can of crushed tomatoes or open what I canned last fall like a lot of you guys do... all the little things that *I* feel should be taken into account for a true cost comparison.
I just do it because I like to cook. And spaghetti sauce freezes well.
I do recall buying a jar of sauce for something a couple months ago... maybe meatball subs? Italian omelette? Beats me. Something where only 3 TBS or so were required and I didn't want to thaw a meal sized portion.

Tags
italian, sauce