Can coffee be left out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem, I completely understand about getting things the way you want it.

I wouldn't nix Alix's coffeemaker idea so quickly, though. I think it's worth a shot. From what I've read and understood, the unique taste of the cold-brewed coffee comes from the cold-brewing process and what it extracts (and doesn't extract) from the beans. Heating it shouldn't negate that, because it's already done. It's worth a shot. You could even allow the carafe to fill up a bit and then add the extract, so that the extract doesn't sit in bare glass on the hot plate. Why not give it a shot? You might like it.
Part of the benefit from cold brewing is what it does not extract, but also the fact that you are not cooking the coffee. If you run it through the coffee machine after the fact then you are still cooking it. Ever have coffee that has sat on the burner too long? I do not want that.

One final thought, how about microwaving the mug until it's warm to the touch, then adding the hot water from the kettle and the cold concentrate?
See my posts above. our mugs get WAY too hot to nuke. You would see me in the emergency room getting treated for burns if I nuked these cups. I already do heat the mug up by filling with hot tap water while the kettle boils.

GB, since you are being picky, could I ask a question? What is the food on your avatar? Does it go well with coffee? See I didn't venture far from the coffee subject.
That is Polenta Oscar with Bolognese Sauce. The polenta is fried and cut into triangles except for one that is in the shape of the Oscar statue. I made this for my wife one year that we were watching the Oscars.

OK, I know coffee doesn't get moldy overnight, so why not just put enough concentrate on the counter the night before?
Thank you bullseye. This was exactly the question that I was looking for an answer to. I wanted to know if the coffee would go bad if I did this and this would solve my issue if I could do it safely.

I may have misunderstood Alix's suggestion, but I thought she meant adding the coffee concentrate to the carafe/pot and just running plain water through the machine itself to heat it. You'd basically be mixing the concentrate and the water in the carafe itself. The hot plate under the carafe would gently warm the concentrate as the hot water drips down into the carafe. That can't be any harder on the concentrate than adding boiling water to it.

The drip pot we have does not have a hot plate as those tend to burn coffee. We have a carafe that is insulated. The hot coffee drips into the carafe and stays hot because of the insulation. That would do nothing for me for this particular need. Thanks for the thought though.

I may have misunderstood Alix's suggestion, but I thought she meant adding the coffee concentrate to the carafe/pot and just running plain water through the machine itself to heat it. You'd basically be mixing the concentrate and the water in the carafe itself. The hot plate under the carafe would gently warm the concentrate as the hot water drips down into the carafe. That can't be any harder on the concentrate than adding boiling water to it.
Yep thats exactly what I meant. Just put enough concentrate in the receptacle and then let plain water go thru the machine.

The drip pot we have does not have a hot plate as those tend to burn coffee. We have a carafe that is insulated. The hot coffee drips into the carafe and stays hot because of the insulation. That would do nothing for me for this particular need. Thanks for the thought though.
Can you not put the concentrate in the carafe and let the hot water come thru the machine as usual? You would even have the benefit of being able to do a full pot this way.

Of course if you are like me you'd still be staring at it going "COME ON!!!!" :LOL:

I don't see how that would be any different than putting the concentrate in the mug and pouring the boiling water over it. The only difference would be that it would then be in an insulated carafe, but that would not make it any hotter than it already is. It would just keep it from cooling down as fast. But that would not matter because once I pour it into my cup to drink then I am right back to where I started. Actually I would be worse off because coffee pots do not boil water. They heat up below the boiling point so this would make my coffee cooler than what I am doing now.

Well, in my experience the coffee out of my pot is hotter than I can drink immediately. I'd say give it a go and see if it works or not. What have you got to lose?

I already know that the water I will get out of the pot will not be hotter than my boiling water since water can not get about 212 degrees at sea level. The most it can be is the exact same temp as what I am getting already and it would be more effort than what I am already doing.

That would cook it more, which I do not want to do. Plus I find those leave a horrible metal taste in whatever they heat.

I think, unless you determine the brew can be left out, that you have
an unsolvable set of restrictions.

Good luck!

LOL I know that. That is precisely why the topic of this thread was "Can coffee be left out". I knew that was really the only way I could make this work so that is really the question I was looking to answer.

if you store the coffee concentrate on the counter, molds will developed on it. so the results would not be good. so better store it in refrigerator..

GB you have knocked down every suggestion you have been given. try a plastic cup. or use a pot holder to hold the handle.

if you store the coffee concentrate on the counter, molds will developed on it. so the results would not be good. so better store it in refrigerator..
Thanks ageofturn. That is what I was afraid of. I actually have a small amount sitting on the counter now that has been out about 24 hours. I am testing to see how long (visually) it can last.
GB you have knocked down every suggestion you have been given. try a plastic cup. or use a pot holder to hold the handle.
I do not want to use a plastic cup. As mentioned before, we spent a lot of time finding the mugs we felt were perfect. I certainly want to use them now that I have them. I also am not going to drink my coffee with a pot holder. Not only would that be awkward at best it would also be dangerous.

msmofet, I was never looking for suggestions on how to get around this issue, not that I mind them. I think I actually said that twice now. All I was looking for was an answer to the question I posed in my original post and in the title of the thread. I am grateful that so many people here did try to come up with solutions for me. I love the helpful nature of everyone here. I knew ahead of time though that nothing short of leaving the coffee out, if possible, would work for me. That is why I was not asking for suggestions on other ways to do this, but just if one specific way would work for me.

Thanks ageofturn. That is what I was afraid of. I actually have a small amount sitting on the counter now that has been out about 24 hours. I am testing to see how long (visually) it can last.
I do not want to use a plastic cup. As mentioned before, we spent a lot of time finding the mugs we felt were perfect. I certainly want to use them now that I have them. I also am not going to drink my coffee with a pot holder. Not only would that be awkward at best it would also be dangerous.

msmofet, I was never looking for suggestions on how to get around this issue, not that I mind them. I think I actually said that twice now. All I was looking for was an answer to the question I posed in my original post and in the title of the thread. I am grateful that so many people here did try to come up with solutions for me. I love the helpful nature of everyone here. I knew ahead of time though that nothing short of leaving the coffee out, if possible, would work for me. That is why I was not asking for suggestions on other ways to do this, but just if one specific way would work for me.
it's very frustrating i know. but may i suggest maybe looking at some coffee websites like maxwell house or folgers and see if they have any advice on coffee safety.

ps i have left coffee in the pot overnight and reheated it the next day and it was fine. maybe make small amounts and leave out only one day at a time.

ps i have left coffee in the pot overnight and reheated it the next day and it was fine. maybe make small amounts and leave out only one day at a time.
Yes I think that is going to be the way I will do it. I generally only drink coffee at home on the weekends so it is just two days we are talking about. I have a small amount sitting out on the counter right now to see how long it takes to mold.

Yes I think that is going to be the way I will do it. I generally only drink coffee at home on the weekends so it is just two days we are talking about. I have a small amount sitting out on the counter right now to see how long it takes to mold.
come to think of it i have had lefttover coffee 2 days old and it wasn't bad, a bit bitter and strong due to evaporation.

But I think, it should not be a real problem to leave it outside for a few days.
Can't you divide the concentrate into smaller bottles with coffee for about four days in it?
There are very few nutrients in the liquid coffee, so there is not much for the mold to live from..
I would just give it a try...

there is nothing like molds coming into it after a few hours - you just shouldn't leave it out for more than three days, so make smalller amounts

Wel I did a test and it looks like for me it will last no more than one day out on the counter. There were little wisps of something after the first day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom