"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 08-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #51
Chief Eating Officer

LOL I know that. That is precisely why the topic of this thread was "Can coffee be left out". I knew that was really the only way I could make this work so that is really the question I was looking to answer.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 AM   #52
Assistant Cook

if you store the coffee concentrate on the counter, molds will developed on it. so the results would not be good. so better store it in refrigerator..

Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 AM   #53
Master Chef

GB you have knocked down every suggestion you have been given. try a plastic cup. or use a pot holder to hold the handle.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:06 AM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ageofturb View Post
if you store the coffee concentrate on the counter, molds will developed on it. so the results would not be good. so better store it in refrigerator..
Thanks ageofturn. That is what I was afraid of. I actually have a small amount sitting on the counter now that has been out about 24 hours. I am testing to see how long (visually) it can last.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
GB you have knocked down every suggestion you have been given. try a plastic cup. or use a pot holder to hold the handle.
I do not want to use a plastic cup. As mentioned before, we spent a lot of time finding the mugs we felt were perfect. I certainly want to use them now that I have them. I also am not going to drink my coffee with a pot holder. Not only would that be awkward at best it would also be dangerous.

msmofet, I was never looking for suggestions on how to get around this issue, not that I mind them. I think I actually said that twice now. All I was looking for was an answer to the question I posed in my original post and in the title of the thread. I am grateful that so many people here did try to come up with solutions for me. I love the helpful nature of everyone here. I knew ahead of time though that nothing short of leaving the coffee out, if possible, would work for me. That is why I was not asking for suggestions on other ways to do this, but just if one specific way would work for me.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #55
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks ageofturn. That is what I was afraid of. I actually have a small amount sitting on the counter now that has been out about 24 hours. I am testing to see how long (visually) it can last.
I do not want to use a plastic cup. As mentioned before, we spent a lot of time finding the mugs we felt were perfect. I certainly want to use them now that I have them. I also am not going to drink my coffee with a pot holder. Not only would that be awkward at best it would also be dangerous.

msmofet, I was never looking for suggestions on how to get around this issue, not that I mind them. I think I actually said that twice now. All I was looking for was an answer to the question I posed in my original post and in the title of the thread. I am grateful that so many people here did try to come up with solutions for me. I love the helpful nature of everyone here. I knew ahead of time though that nothing short of leaving the coffee out, if possible, would work for me. That is why I was not asking for suggestions on other ways to do this, but just if one specific way would work for me.
it's very frustrating i know. but may i suggest maybe looking at some coffee websites like maxwell house or folgers and see if they have any advice on coffee safety.

ps i have left coffee in the pot overnight and reheated it the next day and it was fine. maybe make small amounts and leave out only one day at a time.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:14 PM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post

ps i have left coffee in the pot overnight and reheated it the next day and it was fine. maybe make small amounts and leave out only one day at a time.
Yes I think that is going to be the way I will do it. I generally only drink coffee at home on the weekends so it is just two days we are talking about. I have a small amount sitting out on the counter right now to see how long it takes to mold.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yes I think that is going to be the way I will do it. I generally only drink coffee at home on the weekends so it is just two days we are talking about. I have a small amount sitting out on the counter right now to see how long it takes to mold.
come to think of it i have had lefttover coffee 2 days old and it wasn't bad, a bit bitter and strong due to evaporation.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #58
Chief Eating Officer

I would have it in a sealed container so evaporation will not be an issue.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:00 AM   #59
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post

But I think, it should not be a real problem to leave it outside for a few days.
Can't you divide the concentrate into smaller bottles with coffee for about four days in it?
There are very few nutrients in the liquid coffee, so there is not much for the mold to live from..
I would just give it a try...

there is nothing like molds coming into it after a few hours - you just shouldn't leave it out for more than three days, so make smalller amounts
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:39 AM   #60
Chief Eating Officer

Wel I did a test and it looks like for me it will last no more than one day out on the counter. There were little wisps of something after the first day.