"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 08-29-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Can coffee be left out?

I have been very into making cold brewed coffee lately. I find it is the best tasting coffee I have ever had. The acidity level is so low that it is just that much more enjoyable to have a cup or two.

For those that don't feel like reading the link above, the basic idea is that you combine coffee grounds and room temp or cold water and let sit for 12-24 hours and then strain. Depending on what coffee to water ratio you use you will end up with regular coffee or coffee concentrate. I have been making coffee concentrate. I combine a bit of concentrate with hot water for a hot cup or concentrate with cold water for iced coffee.

Right now I have been keeping the concentrate in the fridge. I take my coffee black, but my with uses milk. I like my coffee as hot as I can get it. She does not mind hers a bit cooler, but both of us have found this method leaves our cups a little cooler than we would prefer.

My question is would it be safe to store the coffee concentrate on the counter instead of the fridge. I am guessing this would not be OK or at the very least it would cut how long it will safely last from 2 weeks in the fridge to much less on the counter. Any thoughts?

Old 08-29-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Experience has shown me that If I don't dispose of the coffee filter with used grounds (and it is covered with a plastic lid), and rinse out the carafe that has remains of coffee, (although not air tight), they will begin to develop visible mold within two days.

I don't know if evidence from sloppy housekeeping is exactly what you had in mind, but given how quickly it can develop mold, I would say you should keep it tightly sealed and refrigerated. If in doubt, experiment with a few ounces in another small container or two. One for flavor and one for viability. Good luck to you though. It sounds as if you are nearing that unattainable goal... the perfect cup of coffee!

Old 08-29-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I just combine the cold concentrate with tap water and microwave.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

I have two problems with that jet. The first is that I find a taste difference with microwaving my coffee. My wife does not and that would work for her if it were not for my second problem which is that our coffee cups get nuclear hot when microwaved so by the time the handle cools down enough to handle then the coffee is too cool again.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Experience has shown me that If I don't dispose of the coffee filter with used grounds (and it is covered with a plastic lid), and rinse out the carafe that has remains of coffee, (although not air tight), they will begin to develop visible mold within two days.
Yeah that is what I was afraid of. I was hoping because it is concentrate it would be less prone to mold, but I knew it was a long shot. good idea on the trial. I think I will do that.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:18 AM   #6
Executive Chef

In my opinion, what dh makes is coffee concentrate. He makes it so strong that I taste a bitterness. I think he does it on purpose so I'll get up early and make coffee (and also breakfast).
Old 08-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia View Post
In my opinion, what dh makes is coffee concentrate. He makes it so strong that I taste a bitterness. I think he does it on purpose so I'll get up early and make coffee (and also breakfast).
------------------

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Why not heat the concentrate and the water on the stove, and then put it in your cups?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple*tart View Post
Why not heat the concentrate and the water on the stove, and then put it in your cups?
That would require cleaning a pot which is the last thing I want to do in the morning. Right now all I have to do is pour some concentrate in a mug and heat some water in the kettle. When I am done with my coffee all I need to do is put the mug in the dishwasher.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Very true, and I totally get where you're coming from.

Ok, what if you warmed your concentrate in the microwave - just a little to take the chill off - before mixing it with hot water? You could put it in your mug to microwave it, but your mug might take a lot of the heat. You could alternatively use a glass pinch bowl, which would create an extra dish to wash, but it'd be a tiny one.