"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 03-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

A FB friend posted a link to infused vinegar using pine needles. She made several different kinds (different types of pine--she liked the one from the Colorado blue spruce the best). I have lots of different types of pine trees on the property (I all all everygreen trees pine trees). I have infused vinegar with rosemary, etc., but because I am deathly allergic to pine nuts, I am a bit hesitant to try this. However, I am not allergic to balsamic vinegar and I am assuming balsam plays a roll in the making of that vinegar. Pine needles were not on my list re: things to which I am allergic...but then, eating pine needles probably isn't common. Thoughts?

Homemade Pine Needle Vinegar Recipe

Old 03-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

There is a word in the original recipe that caught my eye immediately, "Unpasturized".

A few years back we had an outbreak of botulism in a product that was being sold on store shelves. It came from unpasturized apple cider at a local farm. There are times when it is prudent to be leery of 'organic' products. Just the fact that there is doubt in your mind and you are seeking what sounds like approval more than information, should tell you something.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is a word in the original recipe that caught my eye immediately, "Unpasturized".

A few years back we had an outbreak of botulism in a product that was being sold on store shelves. It came from unpasturized apple cider at a local farm. There are times when it is prudent to be leery of 'organic' products. Just the fact that there is doubt in your mind and you are seeking what sounds like approval more than information, should tell you something.
I wasn't going to go with unpasteurized vinegar and I was thinking of putting it in a brown paper bag in the fridge...reheating it after straining it after 6 weeks...I store all my vinegars in the fridge...or does unpasteurized mean with mother in it? I'm more concerned about my allergy to pine nuts...that would kill me faster than botulism.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Head Chef

C-Dub, I believe I would skip the pine vinegar if you are allergic to the nuts. The 'deathly' part would make me doubly careful.

No balsam in balsamic vinegar--I just heard a radio piece on how it is made. They use wine grapes, and the juice is aged for a long, long time. ('Balsam' in this case means fragrant. 'Balsam' fir is fragrant, as well.

Not all needled trees are pines, as you know. I don't know anything about allergies, but you might not be allergic to spruces or firs or cedars. Some people make spruce tea or beer, from the tender young needles.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I wasn't going to go with unpasteurized vinegar and I was thinking of putting it in a brown paper bag in the fridge...reheating it after straining it after 6 weeks...I store all my vinegars in the fridge...or does unpasteurized mean with mother in it? I'm more concerned about my allergy to pine nuts...that would kill me faster than botulism.
To the best of my knowledge "pasturized" means that it has been heated to a certain safe degree.