Canning Infused Vinegars and Oils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rudedog1

Assistant Cook
I've read mixed reports on vinegars acidity killing botulism and e. coli. I know Olive oil must be refrigerated if anything is added or it will turn.

My question is, If I do home canning on the infused vinegars and oils would they last at room temperature safely?

In this basic recipe for a strawberry infused vinegar:

Strawberry-infused Cider Vinegar

Step 8 just says pour it in a jar and label it. Is that safe ? Would canning be better at this step ?

Also interested in your experience with canning infused oils.

Thanks!

Also if I made something like a dressing or marinade would the shelf life be extended with canning?

You cannot do anything at home that will make infused oil safe. If you infuse any oil, it must be refrigerated and used or trashed within 10-14 days.

vinegar ok?

How about the vinegar?

What if I made a pasta sauce that had olive oil in it? If I canned it its still going to go bad ? I dont understand this difference

How about the vinegar?

What if I made a pasta sauce that had olive oil in it? If I canned it its still going to go bad ? I dont understand this difference

I"'m not an expert in this area. The vinegar is highly acidic as is the pasta sauce because of the tomato. I believe that acidity makes the difference.

If I canned it its still going to go bad ?
I am not an expert in this area either so I will not give you advice as this is one thing that you want to make sure you get perfectly right. I did just want to point out though that it is not a matter of it going bad. It is a matter of it growing botulism. The food will not spoil, but it can become infected if the circumstances are right. That is where the danger lies.

Rudedog,

People mean well when they post or blog canning recipes. It doesn't make them entirely correct as in this case. The recipe is an "approximation" the disclaimer at the bottom does state that that it hasn't been approved by the FDA. I personally don't trust the processing methods used in that recipe.Who really wants to wait 2 to 4 weeks for a final product?

Freshpreserving.com -|- Your complete source for all fresh preserving needs.

Good luck.
Munky.

You cannot do anything at home that will make infused oil safe. If you infuse any oil, it must be refrigerated and used or trashed within 10-14 days.

I have to agree. Teaching food safety I know you have to be very careful if using raw garlic in vinegar and oil blends. I can't say 100 sure about using dried ingredients. I would err on the safe side and keep it refrigerated and toss after 10 days.

A FB friend posted a link to infused vinegar using pine needles. She made several different kinds (different types of pine--she liked the one from the Colorado blue spruce the best). I have lots of different types of pine trees on the property (I all all everygreen trees pine trees). I have infused vinegar with rosemary, etc., but because I am deathly allergic to pine nuts, I am a bit hesitant to try this. However, I am not allergic to balsamic vinegar and I am assuming balsam plays a roll in the making of that vinegar. Pine needles were not on my list re: things to which I am allergic...but then, eating pine needles probably isn't common. Thoughts?

Homemade Pine Needle Vinegar Recipe

Last edited:
There is a word in the original recipe that caught my eye immediately, "Unpasturized".

A few years back we had an outbreak of botulism in a product that was being sold on store shelves. It came from unpasturized apple cider at a local farm. There are times when it is prudent to be leery of 'organic' products. Just the fact that there is doubt in your mind and you are seeking what sounds like approval more than information, should tell you something. :angel:

There is a word in the original recipe that caught my eye immediately, "Unpasturized".

A few years back we had an outbreak of botulism in a product that was being sold on store shelves. It came from unpasturized apple cider at a local farm. There are times when it is prudent to be leery of 'organic' products. Just the fact that there is doubt in your mind and you are seeking what sounds like approval more than information, should tell you something. :angel:
I wasn't going to go with unpasteurized vinegar and I was thinking of putting it in a brown paper bag in the fridge...reheating it after straining it after 6 weeks...I store all my vinegars in the fridge...or does unpasteurized mean with mother in it? I'm more concerned about my allergy to pine nuts...that would kill me faster than botulism.

C-Dub, I believe I would skip the pine vinegar if you are allergic to the nuts. The 'deathly' part would make me doubly careful.

No balsam in balsamic vinegar--I just heard a radio piece on how it is made. They use wine grapes, and the juice is aged for a long, long time. ('Balsam' in this case means fragrant. 'Balsam' fir is fragrant, as well.

Not all needled trees are pines, as you know. I don't know anything about allergies, but you might not be allergic to spruces or firs or cedars. Some people make spruce tea or beer, from the tender young needles.

I wasn't going to go with unpasteurized vinegar and I was thinking of putting it in a brown paper bag in the fridge...reheating it after straining it after 6 weeks...I store all my vinegars in the fridge...or does unpasteurized mean with mother in it? I'm more concerned about my allergy to pine nuts...that would kill me faster than botulism.

To the best of my knowledge "pasturized" means that it has been heated to a certain safe degree. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom