"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 09-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cheese and Salami

Once again, going back to my time Sardinia there was a little shop. Cheeses and salami hung from brown twine looped around hooks attatched to the ceiling. The sun beat into the window causing these to sweat fats that stained the butcher paper below. It was a favorite place of mine to buy "guinea rolls", salami and cheese. None of the stuff was refrigerated. I have read of certain cheese types that are several hundred years old. Why now, does cheese have to be refrigerated? What about fine salami? Why do I have to refrigerate them?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

When you cut into a salami or cheese exposing the unprotected interior, it's more vulnerable to the environment.

Besides, the stuff sold here in the USA isn't necessarily the same as in Sardinia. Neither are the health standards.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Well, I know firsthand about health standards there. I used to go to a little eatery in Palau on occasion. I'd have to share a clam or two with a cat that would jump up on my table. I never minded and never became sick or died from it. And I never became ill from slicing from an already sliced salami, tho I DID cut off the dried cut end of cheese. I wonder what the herders packed into the hills to eat.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
In the US, there are very few facilities allowed to produce Salum. It certainly gets a bum wrap, I think. It is centuries old technology, produces very unique products that can't get replicated any other way, and it has fed people for ages.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

56 chev nomad
Old 09-05-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
ummmmm, what?