Cheese expiration HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettyjc

Assistant Cook
I found a 3 lb block of aged Cheddar cheese in my refrigerator that was given to us last Christmas. Okay, so it got in the dairy drawer and forgotten. It is double wrapped with shrink wrap, etc. I have not opened it, but was wondering if I should just trash it. What should be the expiration on something like this? Thanks for any and all advice. Betty

If I didn't know it was in there, thereby not really missing it, then I'd just trash it. I wouldn't keep cheese that long.

To be honest, since this is aged Cheddar & not pasteurized processed cheese, I'd open it up & enjoy it. I'm sure it's fine. Even if you taste it & don't like it, there's nothing there that would make you the very least ill, so no worries in that department.

Really - I wouldn't throw it away without tasting it first. Natural aged cheddar that's still shrink-wrapped is most likely still fine & delicious.

To be honest, since this is aged Cheddar & not pasteurized processed cheese, I'd open it up & enjoy it. I'm sure it's fine. Even if you taste it & don't like it, there's nothing there that would make you the very least ill, so no worries in that department.

Really - I wouldn't throw it away without tasting it first. Natural aged cheddar that's still shrink-wrapped is most likely still fine & delicious.
I second that motion

If its not moldy its likely OK. I think they often age cheddar for years anyway. You probably just made it better!

Send it to me if you dont want it. I had some cheese not too long ago that
was TOUTED as aged 12 months. It was dry and crumbly and delicious!

I just cut the moldy part off of hard cheese...the rest is OK. If it's just a little mold, I give it to my dog...she doesn't mind, and has never gotten sick from it.

Cheese is spoiled milk. It's bad to begin with and thats what makes it so good. Moldy? Cut it away and the rest is still good. Not moldy? Then it's cheese at its finest.

Back
Top Bottom