Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betterthanabox

Senior Cook
I had some frozen chicken breasts the I placed in my refridgerator on Christmas eve. I was going to use it on Christmas day. I didn't get around to it. It has not left my refrigerator, and is in an airtight container. I hate to throw food away, but I don't know how long is good. Is it safe to cook and eat?

Right now it's five days in the fridge. If it spent any time unfrozen before you froze it, say 2-3 days in the fridge before you decided "Hey I'd better freeze this", that adds to the 5 days since Christmas Eve. If that's the case. It's marginal at best.

Definitely borderline. I'd go by smell, but even that is iffy.

I have to say that there are things I'd eat myself if in doubt, but if feeding anyone with any kind of immune problems, dicey stomach, or strangers, it would definitely be a NO.

Last edited:
Definitely give it the smell test. If you are going to go for it I would suggest giving it a good washing with fresh running water or even soak it in cold water with a bit of vinegar for an hour. Then rince and use making sure you cook the bejezus out of it. Or, you can fire it in the garbage and not have to worry about potentially getting sick.

I would give it a sniff test. If it was frozen when it was put in the fridge, it didn't fully thaw for 12-24 hours, depending on how big the piece was. And if your fridge is really cold, that makes a difference, too.

But you are still pushing it a bit.

It's iffy at best. If money is tight and groceries scarce then consider eating it knowing that you are taking a chance. If money is not so tight just get rid of it and chalk it up to experience.

It is really iffy, somehow if you hate throwing food away. Try smelling it first, if it still smells like the fresh chicken, I think it would be fine. Just be sure you cook it very well done. :)
But if a 1 whole chicken doesn't hurt much of your food budget, you can disregard it for the expenses in the hospital are far expensive than the price of the chicken. :D

I tossed it and made pizza, it sucks because it was a whole bag of chicken. Like 10 bucks worth, which isn't a lot, but a don't usually shred ten dollar bills either.

Sorry for your loss, BTAB Be happy knowing you did the right thing.

What kind of pizza?

i personally get rid of most food, cooked or uncooked, within 72 hours, namely poultry & seafood

Back
Top Bottom