"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 04-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #21
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Nope that should be fine. The only thing I might be concerned about is the motor. If it needs to run extra hard to cool down the contents then it could burn out prematurely. I would guess in most cases that would not happen though.
GB, this is a cheap-o frig that we bought over 14 years ago and am amazed it is still running today... it is out in the garage in this TX heat, so you know that puppy is doing some overtime. I really don't keep anything in there to worry about and be upset about losing (except frozen stock)! I keep thinking it will give it up, but it is hanging in there.

Old 04-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Dang if you don't eat the stock, how will we really know????? (just jokin' wif ya)
You sick-o!!!!! If it were not for the decision to post something on this forum, I probably would have tried it!

Old 04-27-2006, 12:26 PM   #23
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
(This is for next time)
I've been using this stuff for a while. Makes the best broth
& takes no time to make a homemade tasting broth.
Looks like a good thing to keep on hand.... specially when I run out because I don't keep the canned stuff anymore. How much does that jar yeild?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:47 PM   #24
Hospitality Queen

It's a little jar (larger than baby food, smaller than a soup can) but it yields a lot. About a TBSP or two is all you need at a time. It really tastes great, and doesn't have much salt, which is great, imo. Tastes like homemade to me.
You keep it in the fridge, and has a consistency like suet.
I can find it at Trader Joe's and one of my local grocery store chains.
I use it for quite a bit, besides making broth/gravy. I also use a bit in a stir fry meal, and I add it to veggies for a richer taste.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:49 PM   #25
Executive Chef

kinda salty, but better than most
Old 04-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #26
Master Chef

They have it in my regular supermarket.

Although I like Minor's better for chicken base, I think Better-Than makes a really nice meatless base (either veggie or mushroom or maybe both). I agree that it's a bit salty but better, IMO, and less $$ than "veggie stock" you buy.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:16 PM   #27
Executive Chef

not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like an Alton Brown segment on what grows where and how ... he's never very specific on that ... and how can it if it can be killed...etc...

Food science, food chemistry , etc is fascinating.

What would be there?? CHicken stock (not something loaded with sugar or gluten) is cooked, placed in clean (but not sterile) containers and sealed (but how sealed) and not re-contaminated...

I would not fridge it and eat it, but a reheat to boil, new containers, chilled frozen. I would like to know what are the possibilities/probabilities, realities.

In this country we throw out more food than many other countries grow! We have better sanitation and conditions than 2/3 of the world. Just wondering.

When I was a kid a roast of beef got left out over night ... mom was mad because she had planned a rare roast, but decided under the circumstances to do a pot roast to ensure safety. It was fine and wonderful, and probably still better than meat much of the world gets. She wasn't about to throw it out if she could avoid it. (BTW, mom was a doctor.)
Old 04-27-2006, 02:19 PM   #28
Master Chef

Even I wouldn't use it. Overnight maybe, but the whole day, nope. Do not take any chances. Though being me i would make sure to taste it, just a little bit, just to make sure that it is indeed bad and needs to be dumped.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #29
Master Chef

Well, guess none of you (except Robo410) will be dining at my house - lol!!

I've frequently made stock & left it out to cool - covered - overnight. One night I went down about 3 a.m. & the glass pyrex bowl it was in was STILL mad hot to the touch. It was still warm at 7 a.m., at which time it went into the fridge.

Since I had no plans for using this chicken stock cold/uncooked, I chilled it, froze it, & eventually used it. And am still here to tell the tale without so much as a tummy ache.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:28 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking
Well, guess none of you (except Robo410) will be dining at my house - lol!!

I've frequently made stock & left it out to cool - covered - overnight. One night I went down about 3 a.m. & the glass pyrex bowl it was in was STILL mad hot to the touch. It was still warm at 7 a.m., at which time it went into the fridge.

Since I had no plans for using this chicken stock cold/uncooked, I chilled it, froze it, & eventually used it. And am still here to tell the tale without so much as a tummy ache.
You have been lucky. In most cases yes you can do this and you will be fine, but it is like playing Russian Roulette (sp?). That one time that you do get sick from doing this will be the last time you would ever think of trying it.

You could drive for years without a seatbelt and be fine, but that one time you get hit by the mack truck you will be wishing you took the small precaution of buckling up.

When it comes to things like chicken, always buckle up