Chipotle in Kent closes after 34 patrons fall ill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wart

Washing Up
This landed in my KSU mail account:

Updated Info on Possible Food-Borne Illness

Portage County and Kent City health officials are investigating a possible food-borne illness that may be associated with Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurant in Kent.

John Ferlito, of the Kent City Health Department, has confirmed that the Chipotle, located on E. Main Street, has voluntarily closed, pending a health department investigation.

Cases were first reported around 10 p.m., Thursday, April 17. Several students have been treated and released from Robinson Memorial Hospital and Kent State's DeWeese Health Center. Symptoms include severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

If you think you may be suffering from any of the symptoms, please contact your physician. Students also may contact the Robinson Memorial Hospital 24 hour line at 330-297-2850 or DeWeese Health Center 24-hour Nurse Call Line at 330-672-2326.

This 'restaurant" is up the road a couple of miles.

Wife (who works for KSU) printed this out, showed it to the Frat Governs wife with the explanation that this is what I'm trying to prevent. Govs Wife said, effectively, So What. (See Frat threads if your unfamiliar).

A link to the story from WKYC in Cleveland.

I ate there once, found the 'food' bland and lifeless. And cold. Glad I never went back.

They have them around here, but they seem to trendish to attract my attention and with so many taquerias around, why go to a chain?
I get my 1lb steak burritos from El Loco Taco down the street. He cooks right behind the counter and you can see everything they do. Plus he is a nice family guy that treats his customers like friends.

I go there b/c I can get a gluten free meal. ;)

Local chefs can be accomodating at helping make something gluten free, but there aren't any fast or quick food type of places that can do that. Chipoltle is nice b/c you watch your food being made and specify what you want.

Rumor has it the total people claiming illness topped around 200. I suspect quite a few of these were looking for a free ride. Stool samples will tell.

I suspect a real number of people getting ill is more like the 40 or so who showed up at the hospital and clinic before the story broke, plus a few.

Last I heard the health department didn't find anything in the 'restaurant' that would have caused this outbreak. That just tells me they served it all OR it went out the back door and is in a ditch somewhere.

Chipotle closed for several days. While it was closed there was a thorough scrubbing.

Chipotle reopened with a complete change of personnel.

Next time I'm at the Health Department I'll see what more I can find out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom