Chopped onions and garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
Can anyone tell me why recently my onions and garlic turned blue-green when I chopped them, and the smell was VERY strong for onions and garlic? Should you throw them away if that happens, or are they safe? I threw them away!

Thank you in advance for the information!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I've noticed that some ginger will do that too. I've had garlic turn green and I still use it, but have never had onions do it. I have a feeling it is due to oxidation.

Last edited:
Thanks for your prompt replies! Does it still stay blue/green if you cook it?

By the way, it's very nice to know that there are experts like you to explain things, in spite of the fact that there are articles on just about everything! Thanks.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

di, I only knew because I had to look it up when my pickle/garlic turned color. I've never cooked with the blue/green garlic, so I have no idea how cooking might affect it.

This just happened to me a month or so ago! I was sautéing some garlic and onions for a sauce, and when I added a bit of fresh lemon juice, the garlic turned blue-green. I had never had that happen before. It was very un-appetizing looking, so I tossed it. :(

Here's another article - as stated above, the addition of acid plays a big part: (wish I'd have known that then...hahaa)

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-advice/why-does-garlic-turn-blue-article

Back
Top Bottom