Cilantro contamination

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caslon

Executive Chef
"More than 380 people in 26 U.S. states have been diagnosed with a stomach illness tied to Mexican cilantro contaminated by human waste, two federal agencies said Tuesday".

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/08/04/nearly-400-sick-from-mexican-cilantro-contaminated-by-human-feces/

“If you are concerned go back to the store and ask the retailer where they purchased the cilantro,” FDA spokeswoman Lauren Sucher said. “If in doubt, throw it out.”

"Washing it or attempting to clean cilantro may not remove the pathogen that causes illness, although cooking at high temperature will reduce the likelihood of illness".

I hope that doesn't include Taco Bell, I like their Mexi-Melts which includes cilantro.

Last edited:
Is anyone really surprised when produce coming from 3rd world countries is contaminated?
Things coming from Africa, Asia, Central America and So. America don't have
any oversight with regards to growing methods.

Gah. This is the first year I find Cilantro doesn't taste like soap.

Nice to put it into just about everything at home except not yet my guacamole. Been eating it with everthing at art fairs, street markets, etc quesadillas burritos real taco trucks et al. Haven't got sick once.

Purple berries.

Mostly I think cilantro is locally grown ( I hope.)

Cow manure not available? Let's use human crap.

Here where I live...right off the freeway there was a growing field where you couldn't mistake human feces for anything else. It took months of smelling that while driving by there before that field was put into quarantine for the next 10 years.

Last edited:
This "global economy" thing is going to bight us in the ars sooner or later.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I just came back from my local Mexican market. The cilantro was more than double the usual price. I asked the checker, and he said because of the recall. The cilantro I bought was from the US. The stuff in the fridge was from Mexico and was tossed.

Mexico is not a third world country. That said, there have been several issues with Mexican cilantro within the past few years. I've grown my own, but it tends to bolt before I can use it all.

Last edited:
This year I'm determined to try to grow my own cilantro in at least late fall/early winter. I tried growing it in early fall a couple of times and it was still too warm and bolted faster than I could use it.

This year I'm determined to try to grow my own cilantro in at least late fall/early winter. I tried growing it in early fall a couple of times and it was still too warm and bolted faster than I could use it.

I grow it every year and it does bolt fast. Now I know and grab it and freeze it before it does.

We built a garden window in the kitchen and use the fresh herbs from there. These are cheap and really easy to build.

Another reason to 'grow you own herbs'. They are easy to grow and you know exactly where they came from. Now, the seeds on the other hand, be sure you read where they come from. I have a pot of basil and parsley right outside my back door. Love going out there and snipping what I want. Never goes to waste. The trick with herbs, they don't like to be over watered. Took me a while to get that down.

Another reason to 'grow you own herbs'. They are easy to grow and you know exactly where they came from. Now, the seeds on the other hand, be sure you read where they come from. I have a pot of basil and parsley right outside my back door. Love going out there and snipping what I want. Never goes to waste. The trick with herbs, they don't like to be over watered. Took me a while to get that down.

Have you tried to grow cilantro? When the weather gets hot, it bolts to seed very quickly. Cutting it back doesn't work as well to promote new growth as cutting back basil.

I'm going to try planting some this fall and see how it goes.

I've failed miserably growing cilantro as it bolts so quickly.

Several years ago after a cilantro growing fail, I asked my yard maintenance guy when would be a good time to grow cilantro - I think he said to plant the first part of December here in zone 9. I'll ask him again when he's here on Monday. I know he said it's a cool weather herb.

I'm determined to try it again this year. :)

Last edited:
Heh. If I planted cilantro here in December, it would be covered in two feet of snow! But it wouldn't bolt. Or grow either!

Heh. If I planted cilantro here in December, it would be covered in two feet of snow! But it wouldn't bolt. Or grow either!

:LOL: I can imagine, there in Iowa! I don't think we even got below freezing last year - not surprising, the climate has been warming here over the past several years. I'll be container growing it though, so I can move it up against the house IF we do get a frost.

Well up until the cilantro recall we were getting it from the Mexican market at a quarter a bunch, so it just didn't make sense to grow it. Knowing what I know now, the thought turns my stomach:sick: although we never got sick.:ermm:

I've never heard of anyone being successful with growing their own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom