"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 02-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cleaning a cast-iron pan

I just recently got my first cast-iron skillet - which I have been wanting for a long time to make steaks and cornbread. I got a Lodge Logic 10" skillet; and I was surprised to read that the care instructions advise to not use any soap when cleaning. I'm wondering... how is that really cleaning? So, am I to understand that the only thing I do with my cast iron skillet is rinse it and rub off the food particles? To me, that does not sound very clean or sanitary. Unless I would "clean" it and then boil some water or something in it to kill off any bacteria, etc.? Or am I being overly cautious here?

Old 02-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
Or am I being overly cautious here?
Yes.

Ask yourself, if it wasn't safe would the manufacturer recommend it? Not in today's sue-happy culture.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Clean pots after cooking with a stiff (non-metallic) brush and hot water only. Never wash cast-iron pans in the dishwasher or scour with abrasive detergents. In fact, purists don't use soap of any kind on their cast-iron pans. Salt is rubbed on the surface to clean the pan; it's then rinsed and dried immediately.

If that makes you uncomfortable, clean the pan immediately after use with a little mild dishwashing liquid and hot water. If, soap is used, however, the pan will need to be re-seasoned more often.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Cast iron and germs.

Oldrusty cars had a post not to long ago about this subject.It was pretty interesting and you can find it in the cookware section.Congrats on on the new pan I am sure you will find that it was worth the wait.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

When it's hot from cooking, add some water to the pan and bring it to a boil. Use wood spatula to scrape off any stubborn food bits. Rinse under running water and dry over high heat. The heat of the burner will dry any moisture and kill anything left behind.

When it's completely dry, turn off the heat and rub in a SMALL AMOUNT of oil. Ready to go for the next meal.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by crankin View Post
.... I'm wondering... how is that really cleaning? ....
.... To me, that does not sound very clean or sanitary.....
Do you wash your outdoor BBQ grill after every use? All it needs is a good scrubbing.
The heat will take care of the rest.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
Senior Cook

I use an iron skillet for cooking quite often and typically just scrub it with a scrubby or Brillo pad, and then dry it on high heat. Once dry, I rub it with a paper towel that has a drop of canola oil and then let it cool on the burner before I finally put it away. If you cooked something particularly tough in it, you can boil whatever you cooked off of it before you finally scrub it. Heat kills germs. Heating the oil on the surface constantly forms a non-stick resin on your pan. I believe iron skillets can last longer than the humans who own them if they're well taken care of.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I just got my first cast iron skillet and dutch oven over the weekend as well! My husband is familiar with cooking in it, but I am not. He is looking forward to using the skillet to cook his grandma's famous fried chicken... I am just looking forward to eating it!