Cleaning a Fridge - How do you do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:LOL::LOL: I don't mean to laugh but I live with a lot of guys and I know exactly what you mean! When my 2 oldest sons lived together, they were so proud of discovering that if you put the fast food trash and styrofoam trays in the fridge, they don't start to smell a week later!!!!! (When I mentioned that using a trash can and setting it out on trash day worked even better, I got blank stares!) Anyway, you're a lovely lady for looking out for them.

So let me get this right... if you throw the styrofoam containers out in the trash and then take the trash out.... j/k.

I always do the grocery shopping, and since that means cleaning the fridge out first it gets cleaned out weekly. Usually just soap and water does the trick for me. I can't remember the last time something got spilled in the freezer making it necessary to clean it out.

One question: How many use A&H baking soda in the fridge for odors?

I always did in the old one and it didn't seem to help much. My new one has a built in filter/fan to recirculate the air inside and keep it odor free. And I don't mean to cover up odors from stinky old stuff, just various odors that seem to build up in the fridge. I have noticed in my new fridge the filter seems to keep it almost odor free.

Dr. Bronner

I use Dr. Bronner (peppermint-because it's what I have) for just about all cleaning-it's safe to even brush teeth with (although i dont) but gets out any stain from anything! I have even gotten out coffee & wine stains from the carpet with a drop of it! I dilute it quite a bit for fridge cleaning though!

I wouldn't use anything with a fragrance in the fridge. A drop or two of dishsoap and scrubby sponge take care of most anything in my fridge. Stains--like the ring from the drippy wine or soy sauce bottle--get a dab of diluted bleach.

when cleaning up the fridge, you need to turn it off or unplug it, then remove all the food and condiments, next is to take out all the crisper drawers and wash them by hand in sink and leave them to air dry.

While letting the drawers to dry, start cleaning the interior of your fridge from top to bottom. Wipe it with a solution of dish washing liquid and 1 gallon of warm water. If it has a bad odor, use baking soda instead of soap. Place a heated bowl of vinegar in your fridge for about 5 minutes, the steam will loosen up those stuck-on foods and hardened spills.

Take a clean cloth and rinse everything down with plain water. Dry it with a towel or leave it to air dry.

Note:
There are 2 cleaning products that should never be mixed, and these are ammonia and any product containing bleach. This can produce noxious and poisonous gases when combined.

Baking soda, borax, rubbing alcohol, and lemon juice are nontoxic cleaning products

I use a white vinegar/water mix to clean just about everything these
days.
It works very well - no 'chemicals'
If the solution is not working I will try all vinegar or
vinegar and baking soda.

Not to be horribly annoying or anything, but I've separated my refrigerator/freezer into five areas and wipe one of them every day with a wet sponge. It takes just a minute or so, and I never face a major cleaning job.

Did I mention I'm a bit -- well, I probably can't use the word here, but it starts with an "a" and ends with an "l." :wacko:

Mine is a bear!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

Deep inside the seals on the edges, there was a little black mold, pried them open then I washed it then treated it with a diluted bleach solution--only on the fridge and not the freezer. Check!

How can I clean the plastic/rubber/something TEXTURED (finely) handles on the outside, so they come out as white as the rest of the smooth refrigerator? I've tried soap and water with washcloth, scrubby pad, a circular motion with a toothbrush. Any ideas?

i'd cleaned the entire thing, pitching any iffy/old item. then i scrubbed w/ paper towels, then organic food-safe wipes. dried it, & arranged the food items again. the dairy on 1/2 the highest shelf, fruits/veggies, then cooked & sealed items. last shelf is raw meats, fish, & poultry, all seperately wrapped, as low as i can. a fridge-box of baking soda. once a week, i toss old food the day before i buy fresh groceries.

I use vinegar and baking soda. I use my Shark steamer on the door, rubber seals, etc. I clean my fridge every Saturday. I take out the shelves and wash those with dish soap, ditto for the drawers. And I wipe down the sides at the same time (while the shelves and drawers are out). I use vinegar and baking soda after I've defrosted the freezer compartment--I do that every 2-3 months. I am anal about cleaning the fridge. I also move it out (it is on casters) every Saturday and clean under it. It doesn't take me very long--probably about 30 minutes. I am not as anal about cleaning under/behind the stove--I do that about 3x / year. I have dogs that shed a lot, so there is a lot of dog hair under both. I vacuum (using the IRoomba) almost every day and use the steamer mop at least 5x/week.

Last edited:
I would say I do mine at least once a month. Tidy fridge, tidy mind.

I take everything out, but I dont switch it off. I take the drawers and the shelves out and clean them in the sink with soapy water. I clean the rest of the fridge with a special spray I get from a shop called Lakeland here, it removes stains and has a nice cucumber smell.

Deep inside the seals on the edges, there was a little black mold, pried them open then I washed it then treated it with a diluted bleach solution--only on the fridge and not the freezer. Check!

How can I clean the plastic/rubber/something TEXTURED (finely) handles on the outside, so they come out as white as the rest of the smooth refrigerator? I've tried soap and water with washcloth, scrubby pad, a circular motion with a toothbrush. Any ideas?

I've found spray cleaner with bleach works really well. It's cheap and I pretty much just use it for the refrigerator seals. The beach kills the mildew.

When I've run out, I make a bleach solution and put it in the spray container.

Spraying the seals gets the bleach into the grooves where it can kill the mildew.

A friend uses lighter fluid or Fantastic.

But, I use my steamer for all the grunge that collects on the seals. LOVE my Shark steamer for that. No chemicals--just steam.

The lighter fluid / Fantastic is used outside on the handles, not inside.

Last edited:
I use Windex and paper towels to clean the fridge walls. I start at the top, remove the shelves and Windex the interior at that level. I wash the shelves in the sink. I move down the fridge compartment that way down to the bottom.

I do the same with the freezer turned off. Windex and paper towels.

I don't get a Windex smell after I'm done.

A friend uses lighter fluid or Fantastic.

But, I use my steamer for all the grunge that collects on the seals. LOVE my Shark steamer for that. No chemicals--just steam.

The lighter fluid / Fantastic is used outside on the handles, not inside.

CWS thank you for the idea on the handles, I'll give it a try!:)

My most recent cleaning was a month or so ago after a bottle of root beer froze and expolded spraying root beer and broken glass all over. Most of the root beer ran down the back wall of the fridge. The "Spill Catcher" shelves don't work in this circumstance.

I clean as I see it. I may take the whole fridge apart about twice a year. Otherwise if I see a spill, I get a warm sponge with a scratchy side and wipe up anything I see on the shelf. My biggest bugaboo are the door shelves. I try to stay on top of it so that it is not a big job.

For the freezer, the same treatment. Wipe it up as soon as the spill happens. Last month by the end of the month, all I had in there were the nuts and chips for cookies. They were on the door shelf. The freezer got a thorough cleaning before I went shopping.

For the outside, I use oven cleaner. Spray, wipe off. Makes the outside bright, white and new looking.

For the inside, just soap and water. They spills are not there long enough to harden, thus difficult to remove.

Even Spike will grab the spong when he is putting away my groceries.

Now the cabinet where I keep all the can goods, spices, etc. Don't even ask. I keep telling myself I am going to empty the whole thing and give it a good cleaning. Sure I am. Uh huh! I make such a good liar. I do clean the glass on the doors regularly. :angel:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just use a bit of dishwashing liquid and warm water. My fridge and freezer hardly get dirty since I wipe down all jars etc that I've used before putting them back and I check every day for food that is spoiled and throw it out. I pack all new meats and veggies at the bottom and move older stuff to the top so that I use them first. Maybe I am a bit over the top but we hardly ever need to throw things out. My fridge and freezer are both defrost free so I just give them a good wipe down before I go do my monthly shopping.

The one thing I fathfully wipe down every time I use it is the bottle of oil. The jars in the fridge just don't get yukky. And if I feel that it is, I wipe it down even before I take the cover off to use. I am not fond of handling yuk. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom