"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Food and Kitchen Safety

Old 07-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Mine is a bear!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

Deep inside the seals on the edges, there was a little black mold, pried them open then I washed it then treated it with a diluted bleach solution--only on the fridge and not the freezer. Check!

How can I clean the plastic/rubber/something TEXTURED (finely) handles on the outside, so they come out as white as the rest of the smooth refrigerator? I've tried soap and water with washcloth, scrubby pad, a circular motion with a toothbrush. Any ideas?
I've found spray cleaner with bleach works really well. It's cheap and I pretty much just use it for the refrigerator seals. The beach kills the mildew.

When I've run out, I make a bleach solution and put it in the spray container.

Spraying the seals gets the bleach into the grooves where it can kill the mildew.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #32
Head Chef

I use soapy water ( dish soap) with a little bleach added to it. I have no smells afterwards - remember to put fresh baking soda boxes in .

Old 07-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Mine is a bear!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRR

Deep inside the seals on the edges, there was a little black mold, pried them open then I washed it then treated it with a diluted bleach solution--only on the fridge and not the freezer. Check!

How can I clean the plastic/rubber/something TEXTURED (finely) handles on the outside, so they come out as white as the rest of the smooth refrigerator? I've tried soap and water with washcloth, scrubby pad, a circular motion with a toothbrush. Any ideas?
A friend uses lighter fluid or Fantastic.

But, I use my steamer for all the grunge that collects on the seals. LOVE my Shark steamer for that. No chemicals--just steam.

The lighter fluid / Fantastic is used outside on the handles, not inside.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

I use Windex and paper towels to clean the fridge walls. I start at the top, remove the shelves and Windex the interior at that level. I wash the shelves in the sink. I move down the fridge compartment that way down to the bottom.

I do the same with the freezer turned off. Windex and paper towels.

I don't get a Windex smell after I'm done.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A friend uses lighter fluid or Fantastic.

But, I use my steamer for all the grunge that collects on the seals. LOVE my Shark steamer for that. No chemicals--just steam.

The lighter fluid / Fantastic is used outside on the handles, not inside.
CWS thank you for the idea on the handles, I'll give it a try!
Old 07-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Fire Hose...
Old 07-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

My most recent cleaning was a month or so ago after a bottle of root beer froze and expolded spraying root beer and broken glass all over. Most of the root beer ran down the back wall of the fridge. The "Spill Catcher" shelves don't work in this circumstance.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

I clean as I see it. I may take the whole fridge apart about twice a year. Otherwise if I see a spill, I get a warm sponge with a scratchy side and wipe up anything I see on the shelf. My biggest bugaboo are the door shelves. I try to stay on top of it so that it is not a big job.

For the freezer, the same treatment. Wipe it up as soon as the spill happens. Last month by the end of the month, all I had in there were the nuts and chips for cookies. They were on the door shelf. The freezer got a thorough cleaning before I went shopping.

For the outside, I use oven cleaner. Spray, wipe off. Makes the outside bright, white and new looking.

For the inside, just soap and water. They spills are not there long enough to harden, thus difficult to remove.

Even Spike will grab the spong when he is putting away my groceries.

Now the cabinet where I keep all the can goods, spices, etc. Don't even ask. I keep telling myself I am going to empty the whole thing and give it a good cleaning. Sure I am. Uh huh! I make such a good liar. I do clean the glass on the doors regularly.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #39
Master Chef

I just use a bit of dishwashing liquid and warm water. My fridge and freezer hardly get dirty since I wipe down all jars etc that I've used before putting them back and I check every day for food that is spoiled and throw it out. I pack all new meats and veggies at the bottom and move older stuff to the top so that I use them first. Maybe I am a bit over the top but we hardly ever need to throw things out. My fridge and freezer are both defrost free so I just give them a good wipe down before I go do my monthly shopping.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:51 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

The one thing I fathfully wipe down every time I use it is the bottle of oil. The jars in the fridge just don't get yukky. And if I feel that it is, I wipe it down even before I take the cover off to use. I am not fond of handling yuk.