Cleaning a Fridge - How do you do it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
Okay, I took a class and they were big on not using chemicals in your fridge unless you are going to leave it open after you clean it. It was "hot water, mild soap only" and that's what I've always done for general cleaning. For tough stains it's generally baking soda and lemon because they are natural. Well, today my cleaning person at the office (who I don't find to be a very good worker in the first place) argued with me when I told her not to use Windex in the freezer (three hours later the thing still smells like Windex inside) because it wasn't good. She told me she's always used Windex in the freezer. I read the MSDS and it says to use only in "well ventilated areas" and to me, a closed freezer isn't what I'd call well ventilated.

Are my concerns valid or am I being too picky since it's the fridge I have to use every day?

I dont think your being to picky at all, just safe.
I have always used 409 because its antibacterial, and I never had a problem of it smelling for a long period of time. Of course you would want to make sure that all your food is in a closed container. I usually clean mine when the fridge is least full. As far as using hot water & mild soap is that the water gets cold quickly esp. if your cleaning the freezer. Hope that helps a little.

The freezer is special, because unless you shut the fridge off and let it get warm, the windex will freeze right on the cold part. I don't think you are being pickey.

To recover, I would suggest taking everything out of the fridge and freezer, shut it down and let it get warm, then clean it with soap and water. let it dry and maybe OK then.

AC

my freezer is self defrosting and doesn't seem to get dirty very easily.

the fridg part is another story. usually just before grocery delivery i throw away any spoiled food. then i wipe up any spills.

i have found the eraser sponges to be the best for cleaning it. if you do use windex or whatever, just use paper towels to make sure it is dry. then should be no problem order wise.

babe:wacko::wacko:

I use bicarbinate of soda and water. It smells good, its harmless and its easy.

I recall my mom using a water vinegar mixture to clean the fridge. Done once a year, haul everything out, clean and reorganize!

I always just use soapy water with a cap full of bleach in it and a sponge with a scrubber on one side.
Dad always did it that way when I was growing up.

You clean yours?????;) I'm ready to throw mine out because I don't want to clean it.

I'm a soap and water kinda gal..

Primarily soap and water with a vinegar/water rinse with paper towels for freshness.

Just thinking of using Windex inside the frig makes my veggies turn up their noses. ;)

I use my all-purpose kitchen-cleaning mixture: 1/3 each water, white vinegar and lemon juice in a spray bottle. Leaving it on for a few minutes loosens just about everything. I also use a scrubber sponge to remove anything sticky.

I use a damp sponge with a little soap.

I would guess the "use only in "well ventilated areas" notice was in reference to not breathing the stuff in as much as it can be avoided so I don't think you would have to worry about it being sprayed in your freezer for that reason at least.

My wife likes to use Windex for everything. It is a constant fight we have. I think the stuff is good for windows and glass. I do not think it is good as an all purpose cleaner. I would not want it used in my fridge or freezer. There is no need and the smell would be horrible around my food.

I use about a 1/4 cup of beach in a bucket of warm water with a couple drops of dish soap.
You shouldn't have to worry about ventiation, even in the freezer.
Haven't you seen your ice cubes disappear if you leave them in for a while?
They like freeze dry or evaporate or something, and the appliance does drain humidity in the back. That's why the all have drip pans in the back, on the bottom.

I say ammonia is better than crud!

How this thread is so appropriate. My brother told me just this morning that my other brother who is disabled has not cleaned out the box for more than two years. Can you just imagine? I really don't check on them when they are there everyday and you think if it started looking really too frozen or broken or whatever they would throw it out? No! They leave that up to me. Guess I will have to take the cleaning agents mentioned and see if I can get it looking clean. They always say it doesn't bother them but what about everyone else? Also keeping something for long time has no value. I really am getting a headache. Nothing is easy with these guys.

I really am getting a headache. Nothing is easy with these guys.
:LOL::LOL: I don't mean to laugh but I live with a lot of guys and I know exactly what you mean! When my 2 oldest sons lived together, they were so proud of discovering that if you put the fast food trash and styrofoam trays in the fridge, they don't start to smell a week later!!!!! (When I mentioned that using a trash can and setting it out on trash day worked even better, I got blank stares!) Anyway, you're a lovely lady for looking out for them.

:LOL::LOL: I don't mean to laugh but I live with a lot of guys and I know exactly what you mean! When my 2 oldest sons lived together, they were so proud of discovering that if you put the fast food trash and styrofoam trays in the fridge, they don't start to smell a week later!!!!! (When I mentioned that using a trash can and setting it out on trash day worked even better, I got blank stares!) Anyway, you're a lovely lady for looking out for them.

Thanks Fishers Mom for understanding and I AM so happy you can see the comedy in it. We should laugh more at things we can't control. I do so appreciate you just telling me you understand. Keep on loving your boys, in this crazy world they need it. Thankful they have a good mom. I am just not going over there t oday and start cleaning the box until I am fully prepared. My brother did tell me to throw things out if I want to. Of course, the other brother wants to try to salvage as much as he can. All my brothers, same parents, all different. I know for sure t hey would give me the shirt off their back if I needed it. That's my family. As far as their fridge I wouldn't want it.

I use about a 1/4 cup of beach in a bucket of warm water with a couple drops of dish soap.
You shouldn't have to worry about ventiation, even in the freezer.
Haven't you seen your ice cubes disappear if you leave them in for a while?
They like freeze dry or evaporate or something, and the appliance does drain humidity in the back. That's why the all have drip pans in the back, on the bottom.

I use the same method QS, then I let it dry, and then spray the entire surface with fabreeze! It's a alcohol based product that masks odors quickly, and then I make a soulution of denatured alcohol and water, and place a sponge in it. As the refrigerator runs, the solution will absorb odors from the hidden cooling fins, and is one of the best antibacterial fighters. Check the ingredients on the lysol and all the spray bacteria fighters. The main ingredient is Alcohol! Now denatured alcohol is not the same as rubbing alcohol, and it can be obtained at your local Drugstore (pharmacy).

No,but then again, CRUD was not an issue. Patricia (my "boss") cares more about cleaning than work some days. The fridges were cleaner than the one I recently rented. There were no spills, no grundgies, no moldy leftovers. Her cleaning with ammonia made the freezer smell worse than before she cleaned it. Put it this way, this "maid" made the office smell "like a sewer" (words from people walking in to the office today) with the amount of chemicals she used and the fridge is collateral damage. Fortunately, the woman that hired her (the boss' wife) agreed she made the office smell bad today. I talked to her and even she said she shouldn't use Windex to clean the fridge. I went so far as to call Maytag and even they said using Windex or any other ammonia based product goes against the included cleaning instructions with a fridge.

Always used baking soda and water, a new sponge and nylon scrubby. I've cleaned industrial fridges that haven't been cleaned in years, yet that's all you need (on the insides). On the outside of a fridge, especially one in a greasy kitchen, I use 409.

Hi All,
When cleaning the fridge OR freezer I plan ahead in the case of the fridge or with the freezer wrap any frozen items in newspaper and then attack with my magic cleaning tool!

Ah, I can hear you ask, what is my magic cleaning tool? A domestic steam cleaner which you can buy for £18-35 in the UK (or E-bay). No need for any chemicals and very quick! Great for cookers, windows, mirrors, exteriors of cookers, fridges, freezers, work surfaces, showers, sinks etc., etc.

Regards,
Archiduc

Back
Top Bottom